cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New connection on Fibre had gone badly wrong - please help!

wrightgj
Grafter

New connection on Fibre had gone badly wrong - please help!

Hi,
I referred my parents to Fibre by Plusnet as I'm using it and things are pretty good.
Today they were due to be switched over, but things have gone wrong. They are currently being told that it is likely they won't be reconnected until the end of next week! Here is a brief synopsis of the issue. Obviously they cant post because they have no BB and have already spent close to £10 from mobiles ringing support and seeemingly not getting very far...
At around 8am, parents notice phone line is dead. they assume the line is being upgraded
Openreach engineer turns up around 10:15 saying he's been try to call, but phone has been just rininging with no answer.
Engineer checks line and says he can't do install as there is no dial tone. He checks the faceplate and connections and all is fine.
Engineer visits the cabinet and tells parents that it looks like someone has been in there and made changes to the line (Not him though?)
Engineer says call support to get things sorted and leaves.
Support say fault is between exchange and cabinet and the phone may be back online in 48 hours, but the BB ETA is the end of next week.
Can someone from plusnet please get an engineer out to their cabinet to reconnect them ASAP? This is their turn on day and they have gone from full internet/phone access to zero. They have no home phone or broadband. They are pensioners and rely on these facilities daily (both mid 70s). I referred them and I am frankly pretty embarrased with PlusNet and how the day has been handled.
thanks
graham
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New connection on Fibre had gone badly wrong - please help!

can you provide a ticket number from the account so that Plusnet can identify it
wrightgj
Grafter

I don't have a ticket number to hand (parents say they weren't given one), but their username is <snip> if that helps?
jim:green username removed and posted in the hidden forums for staff mod:end
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Jim Smiley
Hi wrightgj,
I'm sorry to hear about the problems there. I can see you've raised a fault and at the time were advised that the estimated fix would be on the 13th. Fortunately we've had an update from our suppliers and they're now advising they expect the phone to be fixed by 5pm tomorrow.
That being the case I hope the fibre engineer is able to come back in around 48 hours, please let us know how it all goes and if there are any issues at all we'll jump on it.
Just as a word of advice though, there's rarely staff online on these forums over the weekend so if you do have any queries about all of this you'd probably be better calling in - though we'll be happy to pick things up on Monday again.
Hope it all gets sorted very soon and once again we're very sorry for how this has gone so far.
wrightgj
Grafter

Ok great, thanks. I'll pass the news on.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yet another OpenReach bungle. What are you doing about it Plusnet?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We're pushing every example into our suppliers relationship managers and continuing to push for the number of these to be reduced. Remember that there are a huge amount of engineer visits that *do* go according to plan, but those that don't we know aren't acceptable and are continuing to push for fixes and answers.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
NedLudd
Grafter

Engineer checks line and says he can't do install as there is no dial tone. He checks the faceplate and connections and all is fine.

When our FTTC was installed (1:00pm) we didn't have a dial tone either. Phone had been 'out' since early morning. The OR guy just got on with the job and we were surfing in no time. The landline phone became active about 2 hours after the OR guy had gone.
That excuse looks like a job-dodger to me!
Geoff,
York.
warbleeder
Grafter

PlusNet wont do crap about OR ... OR will continue to mess around Plusnets customers and that's how it goose I once had a major problem with open reach... I then called plusnet and asked how I put in a complaint against openreach...
the CSR at plusnet replied with...
you can make you're complaint via us BUT chances are it wont even get to openrech as plusnet have a deal with them regarding complaints
so just to give ya a heads up of why OR get away with messing customers around....don't get me wrong every other OR engi ive had has been fine... one time I wanna complain I get that junk
itsme
Grafter

Believe you will find that is because of the Consumer Laws, you have to complain to the company that is supplying the product/services not the contractor.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thanks for your reply Chris. Whilst obviously there will be large numbers that happen as they should, I think we'd like to know about the specific cases where a customer has complained about a specific OR engineer either doing a poor job or not bothering. Some feedback on what action was taken by OR would help improve confidence. If you could find out something further about what feedback is provided that would be appreciated.
warbleeder
Grafter

o right  fair enough that maybe the case but...
why did I get told nothing would be done? this was awhile back but im pretty sure if PN dig around they can find a copy of the call
and im pretty sure as plusnet are who we are contracted with we have a legal right to complain to plusnet about anyone acting on their behalf and plusnet have a right to act on that complaint?