Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New connection and stuck at 2Mbps?

James
Grafter

Re: New connection and stuck at 2Mbps?

Hi Valencia,
It's normally recommended to do a daily reboot over the first 10 days.  Otherwise, just use your connection as you would normally do.
Denzil
Grafter

Just to be clear, that is a daily reboot of your router, not your PC.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Valencia
.....................................is there anything I should not do in the 10 days, or do I use it normally, should I reboot at all ?.

1) Do NOT reboot your router at the wrong times (explanation to follow). If you normally switch it off when you are not using it, leave it on.
2) Do NOT use cheap (poor quality) filters and unplug ANYTHING that you can manage without (for the next ten days) if you are using filters of suspect quality - before your line goes MaxDSL (tomorrow?). Use a corded phone rather than a cordless.
The reasons are your line sync speed would be lower than it could probably consistently achieve and the lowest speed  in the first 10 days (erroneously called the Max. stable rate or MSR) determines your 'Fault threshold' (20% lower than the MSR). Under fault conditions your sync speed would have to drop below the Fault threshold before BT wholesale would even consider you have a Broadband fault, so if you normally sync much higher, you would have to suffer significant degradation before it gets considered as a fault.
Poor quality filters can give permanently lower sync speeds (as can bad extension wiring). Cordless phones can sometimes increase the noise on your line resulting in lower sync speeds. Lines are normally noisier evenings and night (after dark especially, due to radio wave propagation).
Your sync speed (obtained from your Router stats) determines your throughput (the speed you get from the Speed Test you mentioned before). You need to look at your Router stats for 'sync' speed, Downstream Noise Margin (SNR margin), Downstream Attenuation to enable you to optimise your connection.
If you do not know how to get your Router stats, post back Make and exact model of your Router and someone will be able to advise.
Initially your line is set with a 'target' SNR margin of 6dB. When looking at your router stats, if the SNR margin is less than 6dB or only marginally more it is not worth re-booting your Router, you will probably end up with a lower sync speed.
The best time to consider re-booting is usually early morning. If you SNR margin is say more than 7dB (and consistently so over several minutes) I would go for a re-boot but be careful not to do this more than 5 times in any hourly period (some people say 10 times, I prefer to be cautious) because the exchange thinks the sync speed cannot be maintained at that noise level and will change the target SNR to 9dB with a resultant lowering of sync speed. Otherwise do not reboot the router.
I hope you can follow the explanations which I hope I've done in a way that a non technical person can follow (as I don't know your ability).
Regards.
Valencia
Grafter

As I don't have a clue, this is what the stats in the router are
ADSL Statistics
Mode:           G.DMT
Type:             Fast
Line Coding: Trellis On

Rate (Kbps): Downstream 2272 Upstream  288

SNR Margin (dB):           30.2                    31.0
Attenuation (dB):           33.0                    20.0
Output Power (dBm):       11.5                        16.4
I hope it makes sense to someone
The router is a D-Link DSL 2640B, use only as wifi
James
Grafter

That's pretty decent.
I'd expect you to get on or around the full 8Mbps. Fingers crossed!
Anotherone
Champion

Looking good. You've posted just the right information Smiley
As James has said, pretty decent.
If you make sure you've got only the minimal plugged in when your line goes MaxDSL and post back some new stats, we'll be able to see what your line potential is likely to be. Good Luck.
Edit: PS. The Rate (Kbps):  Downstream 2272 is your current sync speed (DS) which will increase when you go MaxDSL.  The Upstream (US) 288 will also increase (to 448).
Regards.
Valencia
Grafter

Its on, rebooted this morning and new stats = Rate (Kbps):    Downstream 8128    Upstream  448
I will post after 10 days with results Smiley Cheesy Grin
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Can you post the router stats again please?
The Downstream 8128 may or may not "stick" as the exchange equipment monitors the line, so don't be too surprised if that drops a little. 8128 is the maximum by the way and if it is stable will give an IP Profile of 7150 after a few days.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Valencia, looking v.good so far. When you post your router stats, all the data as per your first stats post, otherwise one can't form an overall picture.
Regards.
Valencia
Grafter

Well, not looking as good as predicted, my SNR dropped after the 8Mbps was activated and I haven't changed a thing, filter still plugged into master socket.

my SNR Margin (dB) is          13.9    28.0             
my Attenuation (dB) is          33.0    20.0
my Output Power (dBm) is  11.9    19.8
Line tested at 3.7Mbps download speed and .379 upload
Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 7000 Kbps
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Valencia
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Nothing wrong with that, the maximum is 7150!
What are your actual sync speeds?
James
Grafter

Ooohhhhh no it's not! Cheesy
It's picked back up to 7150Kbps again, so I've just changed your profile.  Try rebooting your router and running another speedtest and see how you get on?
Also, if you could try running a BT Speedtest from http://www.speedtester.bt.com that might help us show you how to give it a bit more of a poke Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Jameseh
show you how to give it a bit more of a poke Smiley

Usually by sorting out MTU/RWIN....  Roll_eyes
Valencia
Grafter

Thanks for that James, just checked
Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 7150 Kbps
Tried to run speed test with suggested site, but it just locks up as shown below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(top progress bar)
Exception::access denied (java.net.SocketPermission 217.32.105.42:50301 connect,resolv
(bottom progress bar)
Progress: 96%
Testing ....Please Wait.
The Performance Tester is now testing Broadband connection. Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 7150 k
Please do not move away from this page and do not start any other download activity on your computer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So tried the normal one on Member Services, result is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better.
Download Speed  6981 kbps (873kB/s)    Upload Speed   233 kbps (29.1kB/s)
Its now one day on and I seem to be going backwards again
Your current broadband speed is 7150 Kbps
Download speed  back to   2250 kbps (281kB/s)  and as I am only 1500 metres from the main exchange, and my neighbour gets 6.1Mbps
I think something is not correct
SNR is still at 13.9 to 14.5
Desbris

Hi, I tried awhile back to get the 'upto 8mb' Max connection, and plusnet ran the tests for 10 days and for those 10 days I got from 1-2mb speeds and it was very reliable and fast. But at the end of the testing I was reverted back to just 500k/b.
Since it was stable I could not understand why I was not able to maintain a higher broadband speed. Can this not be changed manusally by plusnet?Huh