Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New connection and stuck at 2Mbps?

snj
Grafter

New connection and stuck at 2Mbps?

Hello,
We've just moved home and had broadband activated via Plusnet's home move service (thank you - you were great, BT on the other hand .. grrr..).  The router has connected only twice and both times at a sync of 8128 but we're only getting a speed of 2Mbps.  The BT speed-tester confirms a 2Mbps profile too.
I've just had a call from Plusnet to tell me the activation has gone through OK and that the speed should increase over the next few days.  However I seem to remember having problems in the past with new Max connections that seem to be stuck at 2Mbps until something is done?
Am I just being impatient or does something need to be tweaked?
Simon
(ticket 25406697)
33 REPLIES 33
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: New connection and stuck at 2Mbps?

For that percentage change in IP Profile the change should take effect in 4-12 hours on the BTw BRAS (shown by the speedtester); it then has to be communicated to PN to change the Member centre value (up to half a day).
David
snj
Grafter

OK so there's a problem then since it's been like this since the router first synced on Wednesday and it's still the same this morning (Saturday).
What do I need to do to get the profile pushed up from 2Mbit?
Thanks.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

What is your upstream speed? It is possible you could be a on a fixed 2Mbps line.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: snj
....................................................  The router has connected only twice and both times at a sync of 8128 but we're only getting a speed of 2Mbps.  The BT speed-tester confirms a 2Mbps profile too.
..................................... However I seem to remember having problems in the past with new Max connections that seem to be stuck at 2Mbps until something is done?
Am I just being impatient or does something need to be tweaked?
Simon
(ticket 25406697)

Is it possible to sync at 8128 on a fixed 2M connection?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Good point. Sorry  Embarrassed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
snj
Grafter

I'm reasonably certain this is a problem that occurs occasionally with new activations - I seem to remember having to ask Plusnet to do something in the past when I've ordered Broadband for other people and seen the same problem.  I'm synced at 8128 down / 448 up.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I'd be inclined to restart your router again (assuming that hasn't been done today) just to "prove" to the system that the 8128kbps sync is not a fluke. If this "nudge" has no effect on IP Profile (shown by the BT speedtester) after 24 hours - which is most likely unfortunately - you could add a further comment to your ticket mentioning 4 days without change and repeating the request that the possibility of a stuck profile be investigated.
It's possible that one of the Comms team might pick up the problem from this thread on Monday.
David
snj
Grafter

Thanks for the comments.  It seems I was being impatient, the profile show by the speedtester is now 7150 and things have sped up. 
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That's good news. It seems to have taken a longer than usual time to get the first profile established (I think the 2Mbps setting is initial default) but got there in time.
David
Valencia
Grafter

I joined Plusnet option 2 on 12th June, and I too am stuck @ 2mbps, I contacted support, they QUOTED "your phone line should be able to support a 6Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max", so I went and asked a neigbour in the same apartment block who is on BT, he informed me that he is gets about 6.1mbps.
Support also suggested, QUOTE "You should remain connected there for 72 hours to allow time for your throughput profile to update at the exchange.  This will then improve the speed you receive", so I have remained connected for the past 3 days and the previous 10 days prior to my question to support, and no change has happened, my rate is still 2mbps.
I notice one of the posts which suggests that the possibility of a stuck profile may be the cause, what do I do next.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What are  your synch speeds with the exchange - that is always the first step
Valencia
Grafter

If you mean a speed test from the member Centre it is DOWNLOAD 1983 (248kb/s) & UPLOAD 244 (30.5 kb/s)  and in my connection settings it states
Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Valencia
It looks from this side as though you are on a fixed rate 2Mb product, I'll place a modify order to complete tomorrow. Your line should then enter the initial 10 day training period on MaxDSL.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Valencia
Grafter

Thanks for that Chris, is there anything I should not do in the 10 days, or do I use it normally, should I reboot at all ?.