Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build and FTTC

dfects
Grafter

New build and FTTC

Hiya,
We're going to be moving into a new build property shortly. I've just signed up for plusnet, but it only offered ADSL services of about 3.5 mbps Sad
I've checked the post codes of 5-6 houses surrounding our property max 1-2 streets away and they all say FTTC is available on the same cabinet (OAKENGATES cabinet 3)
The checker on openreach's website says we should be on cabinet 3 once the lines installed too, but says we can't get FTTC Sad
Is this likely to just be a case of the postcode checker being out of date and once our lines installed it will show the correct info with the phone number? Anyone else experienced this?
I'm coming from a virgin media line that gives me 67 mbps, so dropping to 3.5 is going to be hard!
Thanks,
Ste
6 REPLIES 6
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New build and FTTC

probably because the system line hasn't been provisioned yet and you never know what the situation is with the fibre cab either, it could be a small cab and already have max connections, it could be that after a few weeks your able to order fibre and get wizbang speeds.
problem with things that are yet to be done is nobody has a crystal ball and planned things often don't stand the test of action...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
dfects
Grafter

I understand, its just frustrating not knowing!
done some more checking, other new builds are showing cabinet 26 rather than 3 (theres only 27 houses on the estate)! Which is a bit odd as all the older properties all around there are on cab 3. Hoping the opeanreach db is just a bit screwy atm. 3 has only been enabled for FTTC for maybe a week as I checked a little while ago.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

hmm sounds like they are doing a phased install with mini cab's, probably down to planning permission granted as part of the build, and shoving in a cab every so many houses, thus they leave enough connectivity for the planned usage
its also worth bearing in mind that they might be retaining spare capacity in each cab for future planned builds within the local area so they can do a cab>cab>exchange hookup for the future.

if its a totally new build and there installing the cabs, chances are they will be duel use fibre and adsl and then it will just be a capacity issue in the area, even though they upgraded some parts of my town to fibre other parts haven't been despite there being a general need for it, reason being they don't have the bandwidth available at the backhaul so until bt upgrade the backbone with more capacity large chunks of towns and cities still wont be getting the newer products ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
dfects
Grafter

The estate was finished about 6 months ago. Our house is the only one out of 26 not currently being lived in and they're not building any more. I've had a walk through the entire estate and there's no green cabinets anywhere. Checking all houses on the estate, they're all cabinet 26 apart from 2, 4, 6, 8 which are cabinet 3  Huh Surely that's not right.
In the street leading to the estate, theres a green catv box, another old green box (maybe bt but has a catv cover infront of it too) and recently this:

Possibly a bt fibre cab?
lotrjw
Grafter

that looks like a bt fibre cab painted white! Ive never seen a white one before! you mention catv and that you were or are on that at your current address, is it not available on the new estate? or do you not want to stay with a cable connection? 
dfects
Grafter

Would of loved to of stayed with virgin but the new estate is maybe 30-40 metres from the cable box. They told me they only lay new cable if the run is less than 15 metres 😞
The builders chose to install BT rather than virgin on the estate... Even though I have to pay to have the lines put in! Sucks. Just really hoping fibre will be available when the lines in.