cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account - connecting at 128kbps/64kbps

anjimarples

New account - connecting at 128kbps/64kbps

I've just had my ADSL activated and found that my router only connects at 128kbps. I have an unlocked BT Voyager 2091 which gives the below line stats
<pre>
Line Mode G.DMT   Line State Show Time
Latency Type Fast   Line Up Time 00:01:14:05
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 4

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 128 Kbps 64 Kbps
Noise Margin 29.1 dB 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 44.0 dB 25.5 dB
Output Power 11.2 dBm 6.5 dBm
</pre>
Is this just part of the initial ADSL max process or is something wrong?
14 REPLIES 14
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: New account - connecting at 128kbps/64kbps

Something is wrong... Your line stats should get a much faster connection - probably nearer 8Mbs.
Are you sure ALL phones, faxes, old style 56k modems and sky boxes are connected using an ADSL filter/splitter?
Try disconnecting all phone equipment, reboot router and se if it is any different.
Also raise a ticket and get PN to check you have been put n the correct IPstream product.
anjimarples

Yep, everything is running through a filter. I get the same results with just the router connected and the same speed if connected to the master socket. I'll raise a ticket and see what happens.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

given that your noise margin is so high there is something badly adrift - unless the unlocked router is playing silly so and so's
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Have you just moved house or migrated from another supplier?
I'm trying to find out if your router is known to work, or whether it's new and could be faulty.
anjimarples

Just moved house. I haven't used the router before, so I guess it could be at fault. I'll borrow a known good one from my boyfriend and see if that sorts it.
Thanks for the help so far.
anjimarples

Just tried a known good Origo 8100 router which gives the same result. The admin interface doesn't give a huge amount of detail though
<pre>
  Showtime Firmware Version: 3.30
Line State: SHOWTIME
Modulation: G.dmt
Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
Startup Attempts: 1
Max Tx Power: -38 dBm/Hz
CO Vendor: UNUSED_VENDOR_0
Elaspsed Time: 0 days 0 hours 4 minutes 12 seconds

Downstream  Upstream

SNR Margin 33.8 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 46.1 23.5 dB
Errored Seconds 0 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 0 0
Data Rate 128 64 kbps
Latency FAST FAST
</pre>
jnwright
Grafter

Since you've tried a second known good router, there is a slight possibility that there may have been a BT RF2 filter fitted to the line at some time in the past to cut out audio interference on the phone handset due to pick up from a medium or long wave radio transmitter. A picture of one of these is half way down the page at Telephones UK, the one labelled BT80A/RF2 (enlarged image here).  These have been superseded by the RF3 filter which is supposed to be ADSL compatible if there is still a problem, although this can be found to be unnecessary with the phone being fed through an ADSL filter.  The RF2 was not compatible with ADSL and you would have to be located fairly close to the exchange for an ADSL router to even attempt to sync.  The symptoms of the use of the RF2 filter are high attenuation, high signal to noise margin and very poor sync speed, similar to your figures, if it manages to connect at all.  Do you live close to a radio transmitter like Brookmans Park, Droitwich, Moorside Edge etc?
It is only one possible cause of your problem.  Have a hunt along the incoming line for one of these to rule out its possible existence.  If there is one, a BT engineer would be able to remove it and fit an RF3 filter if one is still needed.
All in all, I agree with Peter Vaughan.  You should have a much faster connection - it's just why not?
James
Grafter

I'd still be inclined to get a fault raised and push for an engineer.
prichardson
Grafter

In this situation, you will need to attempt a connection from the test socket.
Why? Well I have just done a line test that has detected a loop on your line. This implies cabling, filters or local devices. The type of loop detected can be external though, but is chargeable if an engineer is tasked to find it locally.
Whilst it wont push your throughput up, it will quickly show your stats to improve and were an alternate modem is used as well, will also quite quickly rule out a local issue.
Further detail is on your ticket.
anjimarples

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I'm still working with Plus.net support to solve the problem.
anjimarples

Just checked for an RF2 filter on my incoming line, but all I can find is one of these http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/52a_gpo.jpg
jnwright
Grafter

No luck on the RF2 filter then!
Looks like a previous occupant had a phone like the old green 746 model.  Hopefully, that old pulse dialling phone has long gone and that the old 52A box that you found is no longer wired in circuit.  It's surprising what old junk gets left behind sometimes and what some old houses, that haven't had ADSL before, have still got!
If you're lucky, you will have a split front BT NTE5 socket where your line comes in now.  If you have one of these, have you plugged your router and filter (without the phone connected) directly into the test socket behind the front plate and tried to see what sync speed is achieved as Phil Richardson suggested.  (Orbrey's My Broadband Doesn’t Work! guide shows this.)  If the NT5E exists, there should just be the incoming line going to the rear half.
As Phil has done a line test and found a problem, one of the possibilities is peculiar wiring or old apparatus on the line.  I'm sure Plusnet will help you get to the bottom of the problem and finally you should finally get a good ADSL service, as long as the 10 day training period hasn't become too upset!
anjimarples

I do have an NTE5, and most of my testing has been done from the test socket. The 52A box is wired in line with it.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,
I did attempt to contact you Yesterday regarding this, to see what we need to do to progress this.
From our side, I am confident this now need a report to BT, but I am seeing some details that need confirmation (such as times your equipment was powered, equipment attached and so on). Much easier to do this in a call, but I am not in work today.
There is some odd data in my results, which hints at a configuration fault at the exchange and not something line related, but then there is other hints around the whole nature of the problem that it could be line related.
I'd like to add now that based on what I am seeing, it may not be a quick fix on this, as almost every element on the line testing returns "no fault found". It's more hints that even a human may miss.
Well, I'm up for a fight anyhow.
I am in the office between 8 and 5pm all week, so any help in knowing when to call will help.