cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account and line activation

itbookworm
Grafter

New account and line activation

We set up a new account 9 days ago and all the processes appear to be going through OK (according to the Order Tracker anyway).
How likely is it that the line should have been activated already or are we going to have to wait till day 10 Huh Husband wants to play with our network and is getting grumpy that the activation isn't complete yet.
Thanks,
Susan
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: New account and line activation

Hi Susan,
Have you plugged in your modem/router yet?
You should be able to tell if it is activated early by the "syn" or similar light status.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Have you tried connecting your ADSL equipment and seeing if it connects. BT often complete the order ahead of time and it can take a few days for this to filter through to PN and the order tracker.
itbookworm
Grafter

We tried plugging the router in to the master socket last night without any apparent joy. The phone wiring in the house is a bit 'interesting' since we have just switched back to BT from cable phone (ntl/virgin) and have a separate master socket from each.
Husband will just have to complete the job of switching the extensions over to the BT line so he can check properly  Smiley Either that or take the laptop down to the BT master socket in the hall as well as the ADSL router.
Thanks
itbookworm
Grafter

We are actually on BBYW Option1 but we have a Netgear wired router (can't remember which model) plus the current cable service wireless one (plus another stand alone wireless box, plus a wireless booster access point....) - husband is an electronics engineer and likes his toys  Grin
He will just have to 'tinker' and see what works best.
itbookworm
Grafter

Yes but the electronics bit means that boxes with screws are just an invitation to take things apart and see what is inside. Downloading is mainly manuals and patches and general browsing (so far anyway). We might yet need to upgrade.
As to the connection -  The netgear is a modem/router and I think we have both a wireless access point and range extender among the collection so anything is possible. We have other machines hard wired to the existing network upstairs so having both would be preferable over wireless only if we can do it. Our speed shouldn't be too bad given the distance to the exchange and if the extension cabling isn't good enough I am sure it can be re-run given the number of assorted drums of wire around the place! Might save the download limit for that month Smiley
itbookworm
Grafter

OK we have double checked the line again tonight and still nothing  Sad The netgear adsl box is a DG834v3 so that should be OK.
We are assuming that Friday 24th is the 10th (working) day after an order placed on Friday 10th. Can we safely assume that if the line is still not working by early afternoon tomorrow that something needs checked?
Thanks
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

In a word... No.
Most activations do occur within 7 -> 10 days but some can take longer if the area you are in is busy for activations (i.e. a lot) or engineer time is in short supply.
All activation dates are estimates!
I assume the phone actually works in the socket?
itbookworm
Grafter

The phone definitely works. We had the BT engineer out to install the line on the 10th and it has worked fine since then Smiley We obviously couldn't request the adsl until the BT line went active (ntl/virgin phone before then) but the system let us order that evening without any problem.
Oh well we will just have to wait  Sad Husband is going to be grumpy on principle I expect but if it hasn't been done by BT yet I don't imagine there is much we can do to hurry them up.
James
Grafter

Hi Susan,
We're having a bit of a problem with your order.  I've put a ticket on your account advising of what the current state of play is.
I'm sorry this is taking so long.
itbookworm
Grafter

Thanks James. We will keep our fingers crossed that it goes through properly this time Smiley The joys of computers....
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No the joys of dealing with BT Wink