Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account - Speed ?

reefer110
Dabbler

New account - Speed ?

Hi,
Quick question, engineer has been and completed the install about an hour ago.
The speeds I'm getting are way below those of which were quoted. Is this normal for a new FTTC install ?
I'm getting approx 14mbps down and 2.30 up Vs a quoted speed of 64mbps down and 20 up.
Thanks,
19 REPLIES 19
leight
Grafter

Re: New account - Speed ?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I can see you've raised a fault, keep us posted as to how things go.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
reefer110
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
Just want to post some details here in the event you may be able to diagnose something, the speeds I'm geting are consistant with those I was getting on my O2 ADSL connection, which I have just moved from. Download is almost exactly the same......
AndyH
Grafter

Your speeds are low because your IP Profile is low.
Did the engineer do some checks on the line when doing the install for any faults? Can you here any noise of interference on the telephone line?
reefer110
Dabbler

Hi Andy,
I believe he did run some checks, I'm not au fait with the gear he was using but he did some line tests with what looked like a giant mobile phone. I could hear the results come back to him, there didn't seem to be an issue.
I have also checked the line myself with a quiet line test and all seems in order.
Thanks,
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
Did he tell you what speeds you would get?
I reckon you will probably need another engineer's visit. Your IP Profile needs resetting (which only a BT engineer can do), but first they need to establish why your IP Profile has dropped so much from what you were expecting.
reefer110
Dabbler

No, he didn't.
Was a really nice guy, seemed thorough but did mention that he was a trainee and that it hadn't been long that he had been 'allowed' out by himself without his mentor.
Maybe he missed something ?
AndyH
Grafter

Something doesn't quite seem right - the engineers are suppose to run some line checks to determine whether there are any problems on the copper line which will affect the fibre broadband.
What does it say for your speed if you put your number in here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome ?
reefer110
Dabbler

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@reefer110
There's an issue with our suppliers faults/ordering system at the moment so I'm not able to chase this up at the moment. I'm going to leave that for our faults team who should get back to you ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyH
Grafter

Looks fine there too.
As you've raised the fault ticket, PN will be on the case to find out why your IP Profile is much lower than it should be. I would imagine this will require an engineer visit again though.
reefer110
Dabbler

Okay, I'll wait to hear from them.
Andy, Adam - Thanks for your help thus far.
reefer110
Dabbler

Had my ticket updated earlier, I won't pretend to understand most of what was in the reply past the need for an engineer to attend.
Screen grabs of the updated ticket are below, can anyone translate please ? I dont understand the figures and stats etc.
Thanks,
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi reefer110,
We've got your engineer appointment booked in for the 8th April, your ticket has been updated.
Let me know how it goes.