cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User and Crazy Usage

johnsav
Dabbler

New User and Crazy Usage

I have just switched to PlusNet. I'm on the Extra service so have the 60Gb limit which I wouldhave thought would be more than enough. When I checked Yesterday after about 2 weeks of service I had used 18Gb, and when I went and looked at this broken down around 50% of this was from online gaming. Problem is I don't do online Gaming! I have a PS3 which I use as a Bluray Player and haven't downloaded anything or played anything. I have a wiii which is never switched on. Steam is on my computer as I used to play FM2012, but was switched off last night, and my kids are 1 and 5 and don't do Call of Duty yet!
After midnight last night when we were all in bed I apparently used 1.2Gb! Any ideas how, because unless someone has hacked my router, and I doubt that as I have a passcode even I have to lookup I have no idea where the usage is coming from!
Cheers
John
13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: New User and Crazy Usage

Hi there,
You might want to take a look at some of the discussion and advice offered on this thread here as it could be an unauthorised user connecting over wireless: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109715.msg939132.html#msg939132
have a look at what's been recommended there and let me know if you need any further advice.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
johnsav
Dabbler

Well there's something fishy going on, as I'm at work and there's half a Gb been used today. Now my wife might be using the web, or even Facebook but half a Gb!
I'll look at the list of devices hooked up to the router when I get home, but to be honest I have a 26 digit alpha numeric code on the WPA  security and not many neighbours!
Curiouser and Curiouser!
John
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My usage appears to have doubled over the last three months and it's puzzling me because my user habits have not changed. A real puzzle!!
johnsav
Dabbler

Does gaming mean that I have been connecting to a dedicated game server then? Even so there is absolutely no way that I could have used 10Gb on a Gaming server in 10 days when I don't play games online!
This one has got me puzzled.
Does your router not log upload and download statistics? If so I should be able to check the number of hours up and correlate that with the usage the router shows? That would mean if there was a discrepancy it was probably plusnet end rather than mine...
I will get to the bottom of this!!! lol
John

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'd still advise using MAC filtering to increase your network security even further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
johnsav
Dabbler

Cheers for that Adam,
Could you do me a favour and find out what sort of traffic has been going through my router today it's just that since 8am I have allegedly downloaded 813.64MB of data while at work. My wife is in the house, but after speaking her she says that she has just checked her e-mail and that's one hell of an attachment!!
It's the gaming data that is causing me concern, and is eating my bandwidth!
Cheers
John
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are your PCs etc connected to the router all wired or do you have anything wireless? If you don't use wireless TURN IT OFF in the router. Then you don't have to bother about MAC filtering (which is pretty ineffective against a determined hacker anyway.
If you are only using PCs running windows install http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ (the free download link is at the bottom of the left hand column). using that you can monitor exactly what is happening.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
johnsav
Dabbler

Well changed my password on the router, hid my SSID, switched off the PS3 and unplugged the ethernet cable from Sky+ box.
Instead of 1.2GB, last night I had downloads of 7MB so something seems to have worked.
Each night I'm now going to add one wireless thing to the network and see if the usage increases dramatically and then I'll have my answer.
At the moment it looks like it could either be:
1) My PS3
2) Sky+ HD box
3) Someone hacking in.
I'm quite enjoying this detective mularky and will let you know what I find out!

John
flaminmoses
Grafter

what service do you have with sky and why do you have it connected to the router?Huh
its nailed on its that if you have one of their obscure services.
BRABUS
Grafter

Dont feel secure about your WPA code, it can be cracked in under 10 minutes on a 8 year old laptop.  I know as I have done mine to see how easy it is.  Got me a little scared to be honest  Shocked
MAC filtering is a bonus, also go into your router and make sure you name all of your kit with an easily recognisable name.  This wont stop people  but will make them easier to spot.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

A handy little free application for scanning your network http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/
And the download link http://www.softperfect.com/download/freeware/netscan.zip
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
johnsav
Dabbler

Cheers Everyone for the advice.
I'm now starting to add things back on to my network one at a time. I've already named all my items on the router so that I can spot a rogue but thanks for that tip anyway.
As for the Sky+ box, the reason that it's attached to the router is that it allows me to use my ipad to control it rather than the remote. (But I suspect it does update Sky planner Anytime from time to time)
The PS3 is going back on tomorrow and we shall see how that fares.
Thanks for all the advice again, I will keep you informed of my progress.
J
dfunked
Grafter

Do you have a PlayStation Plus account by any chance?... This can be set to turn your PS3 on at a designated time and download the following stuff;
Download game patches
Download the latest system software
Download recommended games and videos
Sync trophy information with the server