cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User Slow Speeds

johnking89

New User Slow Speeds

I have recently joined PLUSNET (after a few hiccups, ie never receiving an install date after selecting as soon as possible on the order form, resulting in an install date later than the options available at the time. Secondly also having to get my ppoe account manually activated.)
I was originally on BT infinity where I would easily be getting 76 down 18 up. but since being on PLUSNET i am not getting anymore than 42/18. I was told to wait 10 days for the settle in period but i have been monitoring my connection and nothing has changed. The ppoe session has not been reset once yet, which would be a good sign that my modem connection drop to adjust to the 'updated' line sync rates.
I have also ran the BT wholesale speedtest where it informed me that my ip profile is set as 76/20.#
So after all this I am wondering why I am still only getting just over 40mb connection (according to speedtest.net on multiple servers)
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New User Slow Speeds

Probably this https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed assuming that you are running the speed test wired and not wireless
johnking89

Thanks oldjim, didn't realise this information was available through the portal. It does say that estimated should be 75, but current is 37.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That explains it - hopefully will be picked up here and fixed
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi johnking89,
I've just taken a look at your line which is showing a connection rate between the Cabinet and Openreach Modem is a full 80/20.
Are you running the Speed Tests via an Ethernet connection?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Chris
Current line speed is reported as 37kbps
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah - completely missed that for some reason.
Needless to say, I am now the owner of the team's 'Fail Snail' which is stuck to the top of my monitor.
The profile has been updated and should take effect within the next 4 hours automatically. If you'd like to push this through, a PPP drop should do the trick.
johnking89

Yeh it was via ethernet. When i get back ill drop the ppoe session. Thank you Jim and Chris
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Chris
Needless to say, I am now the owner of the team's 'Fail Snail' which is stuck to the top of my monitor.

Chris,
What is this, some new motivational idea from Chris Parr?  Does not sound like a positive acquisition?  What can you do to get rid / pass on, or are you stuck with it until some one else "earns" it?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tonycollinet
Grafter

I do hope the fail snail is called brian, and is yellow green red or blue plastic like what I got out of a cereal packet as a small boy.  Cheesy
No? Well, I guess it was a long shot.
quitescary
Dabbler

Welcome to the club but be lucky I'm getting 99% of the time between 1-4mps 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Townman - I think it derived from Matt Taylor when he was here some time ago, but we continue to use it. No, not a positive acquisition, it's really there just to show you and others around you , how really stupid one can be! Yes, I'm stuck with it until one of the other guys 'earns it' - which could be a while 😕
@tonyAtplus - Not sure we've named it, I had always thought about naming it Gary for some reason though.
@quitescary - I'm just going to take a look over your line for you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@quitescary - Your Fault Ticket is with our Faults Team pending further investigation.