cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New TV can connect to router but wont connect to internet

andyvayro

New TV can connect to router but wont connect to internet

HI All,
I have just bought a Samsung smart tv. I can connect to router but wont connect to internet. It has connected twice for a min or 2 but the rest of the time it says contact internet supplier. I have spoken to plusnet and they advised I ask everyone on this forum for answers. I cant connect the tv to the router via cable as it is in the conservitory and the cable is not long enough. Can anyone please help?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New TV can connect to router but wont connect to internet

How are you trying to connect ?  i.e.  using mains networking homeplugs, or using wireless G or N ?
What is the full model number of the TV ?
What model of router are you using ?
andyvayro

Hi, Im trying to connect wireless using the netgear N150 router and the TV is Samsung 46D6100. I'm also using the samsung  WIS09ABGN wireless dongle.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=andyvayro]I can connect to router but wont connect to internet. It has connected twice for a min or 2 but the rest of the time it says contact internet supplier
Does the TV's network status screen give an indication of whether the wireless link is remaining connected ?
Do you have the Samsung (or other) USB extender lead so that the dongle can be placed in a more wireless friendly position than directly on the back of the TV ?
When you say " It has connected twice for a min or 2", is that just wirelessly to the router, or have you managed to momentarily been able to access the internet ?
andyvayro

Ive connected to the internet briefly but when tried  to search for apps it says there is interference on the line and wont do anything else, then it disconnects from internet.
andyvayro

Quote from: purleigh
[quote=andyvayro]I can connect to router but wont connect to internet. It has connected twice for a min or 2 but the rest of the time it says contact internet supplier

Does the TV's network status screen give an indication of whether the wireless link is remaining connected ?
Do you have the Samsung (or other) USB extender lead so that the dongle can be placed in a more wireless friendly position than directly on the back of the TV ?
When you say " It has connected twice for a min or 2", is that just wirelessly to the router, or have you managed to momentarily been able to access the internet ?

I'd like to say thanks, I tried the extender cable and it's worked. Woo Hoo. This has my head battered for 2 weeks now.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome !   Wink
basketweb

Hello
This is my first post so please bear with me - I have the same problem connecting my Samsung smart tv but am using a wired connection - the TV pases the network test (allegedly) but when I select Auto for to find  IP addresses etc nothing happens and no internet connection  - any suggestions? Thanks
pullenuk
Grafter

You are not the only one, my girlfriend father has exactly same problem. I found that manually setting ip address does the trick perfectly. Assuming you kept the router on factory settings with it ip addresses. You should be able to set ip address at 192.168.1.(use anything from 20 upwards to be sure here), set gateway to your router (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254). The dns should be the same as the router ip address as well, so it uses the routers settings.
Bingo, it should be working
adie:quote
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say "using a wired connection", is that using an ethernet cable directly to the router, or is that via mains networking homeplugs ?
What numbers are show on the network status screen ?
basketweb

Thanks for reply I had got there in the end - by going manual and entering the addresses - was it worth all the hassle? the jury's still out.
But at least what I did confirms your advice.
Thanks again
knowdice
Rising Star

Sounds like you haven't got DHCP turned on in your router.
timpage

Hi there..
For anyone struggling with this (like I was until - hopefully  Smiley - five minutes ago):
There's a thread over at talktalk (http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-70293.html) which recommends two things:
1. Switch your router to 802.11b/g only (ie not 11n)
2. Switch authentiation to WPA2 only (not WPA+WPA2)
Of course that may cause some users additional problems, but it's left me connected for longer than I have been so far!
Fingers crossed Smiley
Good luck!
EDIT: GAH - SOON DROPPED OUT. APPARENTLY BACK TO SQUARE ONE!!!