Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New TP-LINK TD-W8960N Modem/Router extremely slow speeds

jobforamilkman
Dabbler

New TP-LINK TD-W8960N Modem/Router extremely slow speeds

Hello

Untill recently we were using a Belkin 54g modem/router. However last week the connection kept dropping. This was usually fixed by turning the router on and off, however the length of time the connection stayed up gradually decreased. Finally to the point where the connection would drop instantly. Additionally the router could not even be accessed through 192.168.2.1 as was usually the case.

After speaking with plusnet support we tried the router at a family members house with no success and opted to replace it.

We have purchased the TP-LINK TD-W8960N modem/router, which came with a new splitter and connecting wires. 

After setting up the device the connection is now stable but extremely slow. Below is the results from the BTW Performance Test:

Download Speed (Mbps): 1.06
Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.74
Ping Latency(ms): 224.25

With a wired connection internet browsing is acceptable, the wireless is extremely slow only managing to handle text based websites, images are a no-go. Online gaming is also not an option. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

28 REPLIES 28
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: New TP-LINK TD-W8960N Modem/Router extremely slow speeds

You'd have got better wifi if you invested in a dual band router; the one you've got is very basic and only single band.

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I have had one of these modems for years working on a hard to handle long line and it outperforms what I had before so there's nothing basically wrong with your modem. It is important to separate out dsl and wifi problems so by the sound of it you might be best to stick to a hard Ethernet connection for now.  Can you dump your stats page here please so we can know more about your line ?

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

I currently have a TP-Link 8960N; Its been working fine for nearly 3 years -good connection to exchange @ 3dB giving synch speeds of ~19000 down. Wireless is fine throughout the house and gives me full rate.It performs much better than the DLink I had before.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi @jobforamilkman. Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how similar your TP-Link is to some of the others but to get the Stats, goto - http://192.168.1.1
Default Username = admin.  Password = admin then from the side menu bar select > Status > DSL

Either davidj66 or hitchhiker43 should be able to put you right if that's not correct.

jobforamilkman
Dabbler

Thanks for all the replies, 

I have been away from home and finally had a chance to look into this.

The wired connection is as sluggish as the wireless now.7

I have just had to hard reset the router as forgot the login details I had set.

Here are the stats below:

Statistics -- xDSL

Mode: ADSL_2plus  
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 126 62
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 455 189
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 0 128
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 8856 900

Path 0   Path 1  
  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 7985 900 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 61 10 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 241 20 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 8 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 1 6 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 12 6 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.9657 5.9234 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 2104 235 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 32 4 0 0
Delay (msec): 8 6 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 0.50 0.00 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 44184 39920 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 15440 0 0 0
RS Words: 2960196 47925 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 202919 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 250570 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 78500 0 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
Total Cells: 13382620 1451772 0 0
Data Cells: 183036 30319 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 0 0 0

Total ES: 71 0  
Total SES: 71 0
Total UAS: 31 5

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

Its not the modem it's the DLM! for some reason you have been put on a target snr in the downlink of 12dB forcing your rate down substantially although this in turn may be explained by your high serious error count! Also your interleaving is maxed out meaning the DLM thinks you are on a bad line and maybe you are, do you get lots of dropouts ? do you disconnect the line frequently ?

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Even with SNRM OF 12+ the line is synching at 7985 down which should give BT I.Profile of 7.04 - ie actual d/l speeds of 6.6 ish. HEC errors aren't that high unless its over a period of minutes not hours. What does the BTW test say for profile?? And what is the PN speed figure?Huh

jobforamilkman
Dabbler

@hitchhiker43 Thanks for your reply, after speaking with family members who have been here, there has been no dropouts just very slow speeds and the line isn't disconnected at all. In regards to the rest of your message surrounding DLM, what do I need to do to fix this? 

@davidj66 Thanks as well, I have just run a BTW test, wired connection etc. and the results look pretty good:

Download speed: 6.39 Mbps

Upload: 0.76 Mbps

Ping: 40.00 ms

Not sure how to get a PN speed figure, the website just points me towards the BTW test for speed test. 

Thanks all.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

For PN profile use this link when logged in :-

https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Should mirror the BT Profile

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

Not sure how to get a PN speed figure, the website just points me towards the BTW test for speed test. 

Don't worry the BT one is perfectly representative and as far as I know accurate, there are tons of speedtests on the net, most best to avoid as there often selling something!

I don't like this mail system as you cannot look back over the whole thread when replying but I believe your original problem was a speed of ~1Mbps, if that is the case things have obviously improved over the last few days.

The DLM is a piece of software in the exchange that tries to keep your line connected at the best speed whilst maintaining stability, it has various "profiles" that can be adjusted by an ISP such as Pnet but generally it does it's job without adjustment. A rather complex but full description of it can be found here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm#dlm_error_events

May I ask if your speedtest run was done via an ethernet connection to your router or wifi ?

It may be that the slow speeds experienced by your visitors are a wifi problem, this can happen particuarly if you are on the same wifi channel number as your neighbors, but also the router needs to be well placed, in my case it is upstairs against a wooden not brick wall with the aerials in a Y at about 45degrees, this is sufficient for operation in the gardens around the house but I did have to change channels as everybody tends to use the default (I think that might be 1 or eight) I now use 11.

jobforamilkman
Dabbler

@davidj66 @hitchhiker43

Here's the PN stats 

Estimated line speed:17Mb (This may vary between 15.5Mb and 19Mb) - Checked on 2016-06-23 18:53:36
Current line speed:7 Mb

The speedtest was done with an ethernet connection. There is also a button on the router to disable wifi which I did during the tests. 

I've been doing a few BT line test throughout the afternoon which all seem to be coming back reasonably good. However regardless of what the speed test says the connection speed does seem to vary significantly for both wired and wireless devices. Sometimes pages load instantly, sometimes take a while and sometimes seem to stall half way though loading. 

When i initially set up the router and found issues one of the first things I tried was changing the wifi channels and this didn't seem to have any impact. The router is in the same place as the old one, even when stood right next to it with the wireless device the issues remain. 

Had these issues of around 2 months now, not sure where to move forward with this... try another new router?

Thanks for your replies. 

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

If the speed test results are changing without any dsl re-connections then this is either a network congestion problem or the sites you are targeting are very busy, it is sunday afternoon after all, you could try a ping test like this one http://www.pingplotter.com/

Certainly with your line running at 7mB that won't be the cause as I dont get slow page loads even I am running 3mB except from some bad sites like EDP24 who's server performance seems to have nosedived recently!

I really don't see it as a router problem, it's got the link up at a passable rate Smiley

There is also another speedtest that I use http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

This draws the reults over time graphically enabling you to see network congestion and also keeps your history so you can compare tests over time, think you might have to create a login to use 1st time but very usefull as you can also see the results plotted on a map Smiley

jobforamilkman
Dabbler

Hmmm, I am really not too sure. When i repeat the speed tests the upload and download speeds are always pretty good around the same sort of mark. Its the latency that keeps varying from around 40 to 100+

Regardless of the test the speeds seem to be very volatile, fluctuating regularly. It is a variety of different websites used by different members of the household so don't think that is the issue of the timing as it is the same throughout the week. 

Do you believe it is a problem with the line? 

I believe I originally spoke to PN support about the problems, they said an engineer could be sent out but if it was found not to be a PN fault then there would be a £50 charge. I want to rule out any possibilities of it being an issue at this side before getting an engineer out.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Several points here - it won't be the line if your connection is not dropping. You should be able to confirm this by looking at the stats again - please post them.

Based on the stats you posted previously, if the attenuation figures are to be believed, the line is doing quite well albeit with this mystery 12.6dB SNRM.

When running speedtests, it's imperative that nothing else is using the connection and don't Reboot - ignore that comment in the Red pre-amble of the BTw tester. The pings results from that tester can be very variable and will depend on how busy the tester and any routing in between you and the tester is.

Let me just recap the thread before making some further comment.