Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New TG582n FTTC firmware - 10.2.5.2 - For testing

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New TG582n FTTC firmware - 10.2.5.2 - For testing

Ah, it could be "dns client dnslist" and my apologies for my previous post, I looked in the wrong manual  Embarrassed
crowroad
Grafter

I've had a try of this but ran into an issue for my network configuration. So, perhaps someone will know the answer?
Tried this briefly , but had to regress.  The issue was that the (FTP) content sharing had grabbed address 192.168.1.64 from the LAN_private pool, and this clashes with our server that has this fixed (static) address (i.e. 192.168.1.64)
Tried copying the LAN_virt settings from the 8.C.M.0 config, which used 192.168.1.253 as the content sharing address, but this didn't work, it still used .64.  Haven't tried altering the base of the _private pool up from .64 though. Does anyone know if that would work, because it would be disruptive to have to change the server network address.

Anotherone
Champion

Don't know, might try and play later, that's using the FTTC configuration I assume as you've referred to 8.C.M.0.  Matt Turner may know.
I was thinking if you have no Content sharing connected, and nothing else but your server, after a factory reset (or delete the dynamic assignment to .64 if it is dynamic, then do a reboot, will it assign .64 to your server then? If so, you can edit the Device via the GUI and tell it to always use the same DHCP allocation.
crowroad
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Don't know, might try and play later, that's using the FTTC configuration I assume as you've referred to 8.C.M.0. 

Yes, it would be if  I could get it to work.  However, I don't think this issue is sensitive to the flavour of xDSL, because it is a local LAN pool address we're talking about
Matt Turner may know.

I guess he might.  I did PM him about it at the time I first tried it, but got no response.  Hence opening up the question to a wider audience, before I try it again.
I was thinking if you have no Content sharing connected, and nothing else but your server, after a factory reset (or delete the dynamic assignment to .64 if it is dynamic, then do a reboot, will it assign .64 to your server then? If so, you can edit the Device via the GUI and tell it to always use the same DHCP allocation.

Well that's a good suggestion, and I did think of that, but a) it seems the content sharing grabs its IP address from the pool during boot before any other devices can, and b) in my experience even if you delete the dynamic DHCP allocation, the DHCP server will only give you the next address .65 until the DHCP server service is restarted e.g.by reboot.  In practise the server's IP is statically allocated, and it gets rejected as a duplicate because content sharing has got there first.  I think probably changing the lower pool address limit up a bit is possibly the way to go.
It's a bit difficult for me to test as unless I get it right first time, the only way to restore service is to regress again which is time consuming, and there are multiple people using it.  So, a scheduling problem for extensive testing.
Anotherone
Champion

Which version of 10.2.5.2 are you using? I can't be sure whether there's any difference with the demo version, but here's a quick update on what I've tried so far (I'll try fiddling a bit more later) -
Using 10.2.5.2.EO (the full release), I've just re-installed it, on top of itself using port 2 (don't know how relevant that might be) with absolutely nothing else connected except the computer I'm doing the upgrade from.
The Content Sharing has the .253 address, the machine I'm on has .64.
There is no FTP Server Enabled and no WAN IP for it.
No other addresses seem to be allocated - checked using the dhcp server lease list CLI command.
If you want to define your own pool outside the 64-254 range, do so using the GUI first. eg go to Home Network >Interfaces >LocalNetwork and Add a new pool defining the Server & the Gateway as .254
It should therefore be possible to allocate any specific addresses using the dhcp server lease add CLI command.
What I've done in the past is use the mac address for the clientid (the only method I've found to be consistent & reliable) so the command would look something like -
dhcp server lease add clientid=00:aa:bb:cc:dd:50 pool=LAN_ofchoice addr=192.168.1.xx lifetime=0 leasetime=0 allocation=manual
Don't forget the saveall command.
After you've defined what you want, goto >HomeNetwork >Devices select the current machine on .64 delete it and reboot the Thomson.
So in your case your server should get allocated .64 and the machine you are on should be .65 (unless you chose to allocate something specific).
HTH. I'll play more later and let you know if something misbehaves.
Edit: The only thing I did before all that was to define some additional users as Administrator with their own passwords.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

On the previous issue:
dns server forward dnsset list
Will give you what the old 'dns server route list' used to list in the newer firmware.
That's RPM to you!!
crowroad
Grafter

Which version of 10.2.5.2 are you using? I can't be sure whether there's any difference with the demo version, but here's a quick update on what I've tried so far (I'll try fiddling a bit more later) -
Using 10.2.5.2.EO (the full release), I've just re-installed it, on top of itself using port 2 (don't know how relevant that might be) with absolutely nothing else connected except the computer I'm doing the upgrade from.
The Content Sharing has the .253 address, the machine I'm on has .64.
There is no FTP Server Enabled and no WAN IP for it.
No other addresses seem to be allocated - checked using the dhcp server lease list CLI command.
If you want to define your own pool outside the 64-254 range, do so using the GUI first. eg go to Home Network >Interfaces >LocalNetwork and Add a new pool defining the Server & the Gateway as .254
It should therefore be possible to allocate any specific addresses using the dhcp server lease add CLI command.
What I've done in the past is use the mac address for the clientid (the only method I've found to be consistent & reliable) so the command would look something like -
dhcp server lease add clientid=00:aa:bb:cc:dd:50 pool=LAN_ofchoice addr=192.168.1.xx lifetime=0 leasetime=0 allocation=manual
Don't forget the saveall command.
After you've defined what you want, goto >HomeNetwork >Devices select the current machine on .64 delete it and reboot the Thomson.
So in your case your server should get allocated .64 and the machine you are on should be .65 (unless you chose to allocate something specific).
HTH. I'll play more later and let you know if something misbehaves.
Edit: The only thing I did before all that was to define some additional users as Administrator with their own passwords.

Thank you very much A1, I am most grateful.  I have only tried the demo release.  I will need to look and find the full release you refer to as it seems, as you report, to deal properly with this issue.  I shall follow your instructions, and I am sure it will resolve this issue for me.  Thank you again.
Damian78
Grafter

So has this got a full release now? If so can it be pushed to my USB enabled router?
Anotherone
Champion

Yes that's correct. When you have downloaded the Firmware before trying to install it, log into the Modem/Router and click Disconnect to drop the PPP session. Wait about a minute and disconnect from the Line.
Do not use port 4 to perform the Firmware Upgrade.
When the upgrade is complete, you should end up on the http://192.168.1.254 Landing Page which is http://192.168.1.254/landing.lp
At the bottom of the page select > 5.4 Advanced Options and log in as admin with the default password.
Once logged in, select >Technicolor Gateway on the LHS.
Under Pick a task at the bottom, select > Setup my Technicolor Gateway .... a new window will open
Select the ADSL mode as the Connection Type and enter your PPP details and then click Next and follow the wizard, clicking skip for anything you don't want. When complete select > Restart my Technicolor Gateway.
You will always end up on the Landing page now whenever to go to 192.168.254 , again select > > 5.4 Advanced Options and log in as admin with the default password. Don't worry about the fact that under Configuration it will still say  "Service Name: Routed PPPoE via Port 4 (modified by user)"
Now do any custom Configuration you want before connecting to the Line.
HTH.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: apjashley1
@npr
That's weird, I found that it now saves my username and password by default on any browser - you have to actively click a button to use a different username

Have you any idea how you achieved that Alex? I've tried a few things without success. Has anyone else cracked this at all?
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: RPMozley
On the previous issue:
dns server forward dnsset list
Will give you what the old 'dns server route list' used to list in the newer firmware.

I've also discovered that
dns server forward list
gives a combined
dns server forward rule list & dns server forward dnsset list
apjashley1
Grafter

Quote from: apjashley1
@npr
That's weird, I found that it now saves my username and password by default on any browser - you have to actively click a button to use a different username

Have you any idea how you achieved that Alex? I've tried a few things without success. Has anyone else cracked this at all?

It was the default behaviour on my system (Safari / MacOS 10.8.4)
The username was filled in and greyed out so you couldn't change it.
Anotherone
Champion

I can change my user name by clicking Change User (it remembers all the ones I have chosen, but can't get it to remember the passwords (having previously done so on 10.2.2.B Angry
The other thing I find particularly irritating, is that clicking <logout> ) (top RHS) when on the landing page, that it doesn't take you to the Login page just straight back to the Landing page Roll_eyes
Edit: spelling
markm9
Grafter

Ive just tried to upgrade my fibre router, os is windows 8, ive ran the install tool in compatability mode, as not supported by w8, however this wont install, it hanges at anyhthing between 5-47%, then comes up as fails, and i have to reset my router, i rang tech. support, who seem to think this update10.2.5.2.EO is still in demo mode, followed anotherone instructions, but still no luck, when i had w7, i installed demo version with no  issues, unfortunately now got w8, is this a compatibility issue, or can some kind PN staff force this down for me, i was told by tech. support that they dont do this until a stable update is released!!
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Mark,
We have no windows 8 update tool I'm afraid.
The firmware is well and truly approved, I will update it remotely if you send me the serial number of your router.
Thanks,
Matt