cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Subscriber question

mac54

New Subscriber question

Just switched to Plusnet ADSL 2 days ago. I read comments here about the Hub Zero router, and of course that's what I got. I had been using a Linksys router on Talktalk which gave faithful service for 15 years. I can't have fibre, because all them years ago the company which installed the cables missed myself and next door out.

Not such a big deal back in the day.

I have a newer Netgear, bought in a sale for that unexpected meltdown which never came. As I'm just a basic net surfer, occasional downloader, would I see any benefit in changing the router? There are only two people in the houshold using the internet.

Ta

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: New Subscriber question

The major issue with the Hub Zero is its poor wireless performance. Personally I would use a Netgear modem/router but it’s your choice. If you want to use the Netgear then the settings you will need are here. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Are you certain that you can’t get fibre? It’s got nothing to do with your house wiring so are you confused with cable systems? Have you put your telephone number in here to see what it says?  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting in touch.

As advised above you should be able to use the Netgear router without issue.

With regards to fibre it's a bizarre one as one checker says you can get it but the one we and most providers use doesn't.

I've raised that to the relevant team for confirmation and we'll update you as soon as we know more

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mac54

Thanks for the link re settings. And yes, it was all those years ago when cable and wireless did the street, I was getting mixed up.

I'll keep the netgear in reserve, as though it's only been about 30 hours, no drop outs yet.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

We've received an update from our suppliers to advise that fibre is available to order for your line. Upon checking DSL Checker using your landline phone number I can see that VDSl/FTTC is showing as available. If you want to upgrade you'll be able to do this through your account via the product change tool or by calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632. Let us know if there are any issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet