cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Static IP - Points to someone else's account!

Zad
Grafter

New Static IP - Points to someone else's account!

Hi guys,
I have just come back to PlusNet (I was here in the dialup days) with FTTC, and activated Static IP address. The thing is though, it is pointing to someone else's account! <removed>
I have added an "A" record to the DNS settings of the domain I host with you, which will hopefully override the user name, but I'd be obliged if someone could just check things are ok?
Cheers!
Mike
jim:green I have removed the personal data but copied it to the hidden forums for staff mod:end
8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: New Static IP - Points to someone else's account!

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forums and to PlusNet.  Have you checked your IP here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?DDrh49Aa3SeIYl4N3BTJlhGvNgoXUgKqC3f0fFmIgOsmrrsujjYNOs1jIhDFyttD - if that link does not go to the right place, you need to log into to the portal and look at the static IP page under connections.
There was a report recently of someone who asked for a static IP, however the address reported on the payments page was not the one actually allocated to him.  There was a two address difference.  It has been suggested that there might be an issue with address selection and address allocation process.
This might though be a red herring!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Another possibility might be waiting for the DNS update cycle to complete.
If the static IP is newly allocated changing it's DNS settings could be in progress.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have sent you a PM
Zad
Grafter

Cheers for the privacy edit. I'll give it a day or so for the DNS caches to flush through anyway.
Mike
picbits
Rising Star

Mine had a rDNS entry of something that sounded quite rude (previous customer) depending on how you read it - it updated after a few days though.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From the information on the Forum profile it seems to be fixed so it must have been a DNS propagation problem
Zad
Grafter

Yep, it looks to be all settled down now. I just need to figure out how to make the rDNS resolve to my domain now, but that can wait.
Cheers!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You just need to raise a ticket and attach proof of domain ownership, mine was done in a few hours Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'