Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Spam MSNBC

puddy
Grafter

New Spam MSNBC

I am now getting msnbc breaking news got 20 spam  this afternoon
Anybody out their with the same problem?
puddy
34 REPLIES 34
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: New Spam MSNBC

Take a look at the end of the convincing spam from CNN thread.
My mouse is hovering over the "Merge Threads" links to move this into that thread, but dinner has just been called....
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

if it is merged, then re-name it as well,
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Yep I've noticed a dramatic increase in msnbc mail in my gmail spam box!
Also just noticed a lot of spam mails with the title download free and it's claimed to be from a Microsoft address advertising IE7 download with a direct link to a file called IE7.exe on an IP address, the bottom also says its from msn feature offers!
cameron
Grafter

MSNBC  have a blog on this :-
http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/08/msnbc-cnn-hit-b.html
Hope Plusnet is taking appropriate action as it seems likely to get worse.
I am surprised at general lack of warnings and advice.
At present  I am on a few but expect it to escalate like the CNN so hope plusnet manage to control it
Cameron
puddy
Grafter

It does look that plusnet account holders are being targeted.  My hotmail.co.uk account as not got any msnbc or cnn spam at all.
puddy
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Yes, I'm still getting the MSNBC spam s and also seen a few of the Microsoft ones as well.  I wonder if you are right in suggesting Plusnet is being targeted as my other accounts are not receiving them.
There's a lot more on this in the CNN thread.
zubel
Community Veteran

I've received a few of these on my personal Plusnet account.
However, I've received approximately 3,400 of these through my work connection, which has nothing to do with Plusnet's email server, or the email breach. 
Chatting on an ISP forum about similar spams, then drawing the conclusion that that particular ISP is being "targetted" is a bit short-sighted.  There are lots of examples of the MSNBC spam hitting targets worldwide.
Approximately 65% of the *worlds* spam comes from two botnets, The Rustock Botnet and the Srizbi Botnet.  Each of these botnets is responsible for an estimated 60 billion spam emails per DAY.
Once your email address gets into the hands of the people controlling the botnet, it's generally no surprise that you will start receiving a lot of spam.  So please, It's definately not a "targetted attack" on Plusnets email addresses.  Once your email address is compromised, you might as well throw it away and start with a new one.
The MSNBC spam is being sent by the Rustock botnet.  No doubt in a few days they will change tack again to something else.
A good site to keep abreast of these developements is the Marshal TRACE Blog.
B.
Not applicable

Yup, we've had a few thousand reaching our mailserver here - again, nothing at all to do with PN - our domain isn't even registered with PN, its another company who looks after it.
Nothing at all to suggest its a PN only, or PN targetted attack.
Also, I've had zero to my PN mailbox, but SWMBO has had many to hers.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep, been getting them as well.
About 8 MSNBC spams at work this morning, no CNN ones - so obviously they've moved on.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Barry,
Some interesting links in your post #7.  Where are the botnets located, Russia perhaps?
I think we were just asking the question as to if it was just PN that was getting the emails as other accounts seem to be free or receiving just the odd few.  The reply from James H  has clarified this.  Thanks James.
zubel
Community Veteran

The botnets are formed of machines all over the world that are infected.  That means that the majority or the computers are owned by "less than careful" individuals at home, or within businesses right across the globe.
In fact, the latest slew of spam is aimed squarely at increasing the size of the botnet.  If you click on the link and download the attachment, your machine effectively becomes part of the botnet.
From the Rustock examination I linked earlier, it's obvious to see that people who are infected will:
a)  receive regular updates to the virus/rootkit/spam engine from its in-built auto-updater
b)  Generate huge amounts of spam, customised by connecting to a central C&C server and downloading binary data
c)  Are at risk from execution of arbitrary code as directed by the C&C server.  This could be more malware, or keyloggers or any program the people controlling the botnet wish.
I hate to say it, but the Rustock software is a superbly crafted piece of software which is highly resilient to attempts to deactivate it.  A true piece of art.
B.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks Barry, It's very interesting and not as I expected it to be.  It makes detection and removal almost impossible.
Will any anti-virus find them if there's one on a PC or what other way is there of knowing if you have one installed?
zubel
Community Veteran

Antivirus should find them as signatures are updated.  Even though the file itself is encrypted, the signature should pick up an encrypted version of the file.
Also bear in mind that most Antivirus companies run "honeypots", which are machines that they allow to be intentionally infected so that they can monitor them and develop new signatures to identify new strains of viruses.
As always, it's a race between the virus writers and the antivirus developers though Smiley
B.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
.  If you click on the link and download the attachment, your machine effectively becomes part of the botnet.

If my machine  is affected by a virus my anti-virus software will not allow me to send any messages out so if a viurs comes in my software will not pass it on to other computers or allow infected e-mail out.
In addition I do not have any e-mails account holder in my address books they are all empty
puddy