Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Smart Hub 2 = Drop in speed

Stoneblade
Dabbler

New Smart Hub 2 = Drop in speed

Hi all,

Over the last couple of years of moving into our new home,  we have had a steady slowing of our speed, going from 65mb down to 55mb then 52mb.  Been having issues with our hub wifi so have a new Smart Hub 2.  On plugging it in I have lost about 5mb off the sync speed. Our downloads through wire were 51mb and now are 45mb/s on the new modem.  Is this normal, and the speed will come back?  I don't want to loose more speed off out ever decreasing speeds.  Is there anyway to get this back?

Thanks in advance

29 REPLIES 29
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: New Smart Hub 2 = Drop in speed

@Stoneblade 

It's probably the reboot, not the new hub that's triggered the loss in speed. what happens if you put your old hub back?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Stoneblade
Dabbler

Hi @Baldrick1 

Thanks for the reply.  I've just put the old router back on and it looks like its gone back up to 53mb.  Is it worth leaving the new hub on for a couple of days and then seeing if the speed comes back up?

Thanks

Baldrick1

@Stoneblade 

Repeated disconnects can trigger the DLM to  reduce your speed so leave it today. I'm somewhat surprised that you should sync at a lower speed.

What results do you get for your estimated VDSL speed if you put your phone number in here? https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Moderator and Customer

Stoneblade
Dabbler

Baldrick1

@Stoneblade 

Further down the page it should have reported the observed speed. If it's less than 52.7Mbps then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net. It might be worth replacing the Hub 2 and rechecking your sync speed before doing so. If you log in to your Hub 2 it's on the Status page.

Moderator and Customer

Stoneblade
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Sorry I didn't realise you wanted more down the page.  It says 52.33 currently.  I have rang the tech support and told me my min speed guaranteed is 43mb and wont do anything. Is that correct?

Thanks for all your help.

Baldrick1

@Stoneblade 

There's two different speeds that you have to consider. The sync speed and the maximum usable download speed. There can be 10% difference on a good working line.

I believe that the ADSL checker reports the sync speed. The Plusnet guaranteed speed is the speed that you get using a speed checker so you need to make sure that you are looking at the right figure.

What I suggest that you do:

1. Remove the front from your BT Master socket. You may need to remove two screws. In the back you will find the Test socket. Use that for the following tests.

2. Plug in a wired phone and do a quiet line test by ringing 17070 then Option 2. If there's any noise on the line then you need to get this fixed as this is the likely cause by reporting a phone fault.

3. Remove the phone, plug in your filter.

4. Plug the Hub Two in to the filter and the phone if you need it.

5. On the status page report back the Download Sync Speed.

6. Go to the Hub Broadband Performance Test page and following the instructions run a speed test and report back.

7. If the speed is less than 43Mbps then continue to the further diagnostics and report the results. This will  record the results for use by Plusnet/Openreach. In this case leave your setup connected to the test socket until it has been checked out by Plusnet.

With those results we will have all the information that we need and if necessary no doubt a Plusnet Staffer will have a look and comment/take any required action.

Moderator and Customer

Stoneblade
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Did your steps this morning, no noise on the line from what I can hear (I don't have a wired  phone).  On going through the socket itself the line went up by about 0.2mb but wondering if that's from another reset? I also changed the modem cable with the one provided (I have a thicker one I normally use) I am downloading at 45.4mb/s I'm still about 10mb off what I used to get when I first signed up and about 5mb off what I was getting with the original router. As its above the min speed from Plusnet there is nothing I can do?  Its just odd within the 3 years of living here it has gone from 65mb down to this speed and no one knows the issues.  We do live in a block of flats (6 flats), I think all residents in the flats have seen the speeds drop over time.  Everyone in the houses on the street get the full speeds of 75mb.

Thanks

Untitled-1.jpg

Baldrick1

@Stoneblade 

I really have no idea why your new hub should be slower. I accept that you are above your MGALS but even so the line is performing below expectations.

Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will come along and comment but in the meantime I would have another go and report it at https://faults.plus.net.

Moderator and Customer

Stoneblade
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Thank you for all the advice thus far.  I will report the fault now and hopefully something can be done.  Will see if a member of staff will pop on this thread too.

Thanks

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting in touch @Stoneblade, and for raising the issue with our technical support team earlier today. I've just had a look at the fault itself and can see that Openreach are asking that we arrange an engineer visit. Please respond to my latest note on the fault ticket with your availability, and we'll get it raised.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Stoneblade
Dabbler

@adam945 

I just rang up this morning and an engineer is popping out tomorrow morning to have a look.  Fingers crossed we can sort the situation.  Will update once been.  Appreciate the time you guys have taken to reply.

Have a great weekend

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Ah great stuff, yeah I've just checked the ticket and the appointment on our supplier's side, all is good Smiley

Let us know how things go, and if you need any further support afterwards.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Stoneblade
Dabbler

Morning @adam945 

Openreach engineer has been and switched "line pairs" or something and reset the DLM.  My max attainable sync speed is now 57mb which is alot more than it was before, but my actual speed seems to be stuck on the lower 49mb, is this correct?  Or is it meant to be close to the max?  I have gone back to my old hardware for a second as its easier to see line stats also a better connection, and have attached a picture of what it is seeing.

With thanks

Untitled-1.jpg