cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router

valart
Grafter

New Router

I am thinking of getting a new router the one that I have got is about seven years old from when I joined PN and is working fine at the moment but I thought I liked be prepaired and have one on stand by just in case.I noticed that Amazon have a TP Link TLWR841 wireless router priced at £15.99 any advise would be welcome and is it easy for a pensioner like me to set it up.
6 REPLIES 6
leader
Grafter

Re: New Router

Plusnet will provide a  a free tg582n if you don't mind a new contact?
Maybe a home hub 4 or 5 ?
Easy to use all in one  {Think of  that, well know auction site, for best prices}
picbits
Rising Star

The TLWR841 is a cable router not an ADSL router - if you are still on ADSL and not FTTC it won't be much good for what you're after.
If you are on FTTC though, these are pretty good - I use a couple myself but have reflashed them with DD-WRT as the stock firmware became a little unstable during large LAN to Wireless file transfers.
valart
Grafter

I did mention that I was a pensioner and may sound silly to most but I don't know if I am ADSL or FTTC
picbits
Rising Star

If you've not upgraded your modem/router for the last 5+ years you'll probably be on ADSL so you'll need a "modem router" rather than a "cable router"
If your current router plugs into a separate BT modem which then plugs into your phone line then you are on FTTC. If your current router plugs straight into your phone socket via a microfilter then you'll be on ADSL.
leader
Grafter

Handy Guide to FTTC ( fast fibre broadband)  Have the tea & biscuits at the ready  Wink
https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/package-guides/fibre-optic-broadband

valart
Grafter

Thanks for your reply the router goes straight into the phone socket so it is ADSL