Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router - no cable in box

NeilByMouth
Grafter

New Router - no cable in box

Hi
I just got my router today. Having unpacked it there is no ethernet cable(manual says ends would be yellow) in the box. Is it possible to get one sent out? I'll even pay the additional P&P
My broadband doesn't go live until Tuesday but I am unlikely to have a chance to pick one up from a retailer before then. I have to stay in for other stuff being delivered and some work done
My workstation that I intended to use cabled doesn't have wireless. I have a 10m cable but I just this morning concealed it under flooring etc to go through to my bedroom. Ha - no good deed goes unpunished.
I would raise a ticket for this but the one I raised asking if my phone service was ExDir took a few days to get an answer. I could probably get one by then.
12 REPLIES 12
BRABUS
Grafter

Re: New Router - no cable in box

Give them a call to raise a ticket - it is a free phone number.  This will get things moving quickly.  THey can get it posted today and you may get it tomoorow or Friday, they are normally very quick.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We'll get one sent out from here, I'll send it to the address on your account.
In fact, if possible could you take a photo of the open box and send it to me?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
BRABUS
Grafter

RESULT  Cool
NeilByMouth
Grafter

Thanks - such a small inexpensive thing but actually makes my life a lot easier
do you need me to PM account info or anything or is it attached to my forum username (I can't remember from the registration process)?
edit nvw: posts crossed
NeilByMouth
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
We'll get one sent out from here, I'll send it to the address on your account.
In fact, if possible could you take a photo of the open box and send it to me?

I'd already unpacked everything to see that the modem cable was long enough to reach where I ideally wanted the router to sit on the desking / shelves I am having installed. I can repack it if you need me too or do you just need some QC info from a label?
Chris
Legend

We've got the serial  number already, if it's unpacked don't worry about it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
NeilByMouth
Grafter

Thanks
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Neil,
I'm sorry about this, it shouldn't have happened. We've raised this with our suppliers and will make sure that we add this to the list of things to investigate when we next visit the factory.
Normally each packed box is weighed at the end of the assembly process and the weight compared to a preset known correct weight. The scales are calibrated so that even if a piece of paper is missing the box will be rejected and sent for checking. This is the process we'll be checking when we next visit the factory as it seems to have failed for your router.
Matt
NeilByMouth
Grafter

I have two welcome booklets...... no idea how thick/long/heavy the cat5 cable is but maybe there is a root cause
Years ago I used to be a quality engineer for an external manufacturer for Sun Server Systems. There we used to operate PPA (post pack audit) too but there it meant a sample of goods were fully unpacked and run through all qual again to check for results correspondence between testing processes.
ps all the lights on my router work except internet(Red) not due on til tuesday but does this mean i can be activated early?
Chris
Legend

Possibly, I'll activate the account but that means you won't be able to raise any faults until the actual activation date.
NeilByMouth
Grafter

You guys are wonderful - if I had a first born you could have him Smiley
here's why:
" Name:
Number: T-Mobile
Content:
Your time on Mobile Broadband will run out in 1 hour. To keep using the service, buy more days at http://www.t-zones.co.uk/apps/ebdc/en/purchase-SMS
Time: 10/08/2012 16:03:08"
then from you -
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:03:55 +0100
Message-Id: <XXXXXXXt>
To: XXXXXXXX@gmail.com
Subject: Your broadband is now active
45 secs of downtime for me on a service you instantly did pretty much as a favour. BRAVO Cheesy
I can now stamp on that ****** little t-mobile dongle I have been using and not have to buy wasted credit. I can also fit my SSD in my workstation and reinstall OS and apps on workstation as I can update before next week starts. SAVES ME MAJOR HEADACHES.
I absolve you of your patch lead sins, go in peace. Forget the cable as this is actually worth me moving the workstation into the bedroom as I reassable it and I'll get one on Monday morning as now I have time.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I know PN are good but I think a bit of luck must also be involved here.... have you bought a lottery ticket this week?  Wink
Welcome to PlusNet proper - you already know where to get the very best in support.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.