cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router Slow Speed - Netgear D1500

oneiljd

New Router Slow Speed - Netgear D1500

Hi Folks,
hoping someone with more technical knowledge can give me an assist on low download speed after a router change.
I've swapped out an old TP-Link router that had an overheating issue causing it to reboot at random intervals and replaced it with a new Netgear D1500.
I'm on an ADSL phone connection and I'm pretty far from my exchange, AFAIK, but the stats I can see suggest I should be able to get around 3.8 MB instead
of the 2.1 MB I'm seeing now. Copy of stats attached. I'm not sure what most of them, outside of the speed figures, actually mean I'm afraid.
Is it possible that the random reboots of my old router have been read as line faults and have led to a speed reduction perhaps ?
Will my line 'retrain' to the new set up and recover some speed or is some kind of intervention from support required ?
Any help very much appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New Router Slow Speed - Netgear D1500

As the line has only been up for 16 minutes (according to image 2) the profile on our side hasn't yet caught up.
I've given that a nudge to 3800, so if you disconnect/reconnect you should see an improvement in speeds.
I'm a little concerned by the 240 errored seconds already showing on there though.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
oneiljd

Re: New Router Slow Speed - Netgear D1500

Hi Chris,
many thanks for the quick response !
I'm now getting 3.5MB which is a great improvement.
A MB here or there might not mean a lot those lucky enough to have a better connection or even fibre
but it's a huge plus for me.
Very much appreciate your help.
The short up time was down to my trying a firmware upgrade as a possible solution right before taking the stats.
Thanks again  Smiley