cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router, Is it worth having

Alloneword

New Router, Is it worth having

Been offered this new Plusnet router (the one with 2 pink legs), just wondering if it's much of an improvment over the old "Technicolor" or is it just same old thing just repackaged?

Just checked it's called the "Plusnet Hub One"

All1

10 REPLIES 10
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: New Router, Is it worth having

It's only the same old thing inasmuch it's a cheaply sourced and specified ISP router, but that doesn't mean it won't do a job for you as long as you're not expecting the sort of bangs and whistles you might expect from a more expensive router.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a 2704n router to try to solve a long standing BB problem, which may have been at least partly caused by my two apparently faulty 'Technicolor' routers which PN have suggested are past their sell-by date. Undecided

You haven't stated why you have been offered the new router - don't expect a miraculous improvement unless your current router is actually faulty.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

On paper it reads well - dual band wireless AC1600, 4 gigabit ports, USB for network attached storage...

But...

It's got pink feet!
Alloneword

Well long story short, i was having awful drop outs every day so rang them and they said old router is broke, we can send new one but you have to sign new 18 month contract, told them to shove it as it's their hardware anyway so they offered me a deal of £20 a month for line rental and BB for 12 month, and they sent a router for free, but have got old router working still my usual speed @ 3mbit and was wondering if it would increase speed as i have read some better makes can do this a bit, still not 100% sure if i'm going to take them up on the offer i have about 10 days to make up my mind before i am committed.

All1

jon
Grafter

No, the plus one hub won't make your broadband speed any faster, unless there is something wrong with your old router.

The main advantages of the plus one hub are:

* It supports fibre broadband, should you upgrade to it.

* It supports the faster ac wifi standard. The 'n' standard is already faster than your broadband speed so it will only benefit you if you have 2 new ac devices that need to talk to each other other wifi.

So it's really for future proofing rather than any immediate benefit.

Alloneword

Well no chance of fibre for at least 18 months and that's if the wind is blowing in the right direction, AC handy but only have one laptop with that spec so pointless for me i guess i need to look into the offer they made me first, this included line rental but i think phone call connection was 19p per call which is high but i need to check on this before i commit myself 100%, ok many thanks for your answers guys it's been very helpfull.

All1

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Doesn't the Hub Zero (2704n) also have two pink legs? I'm not sure why Plusnet would be giving you a Hub One for an ADSL connection. Of course the Hub One also works on ADSL, but I thought they supply the Hub Zero for ADSL.

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

@ejs: I hate to say this but the 2704n sucks. I have to keep resetting it after a few days because the speed keeps dropping to a few meg (when on average it should be between 15 and 16 meg), and no pages will open.

After changing it back to the original Tg582n one, everything's perfect.

@Alloneword: I would stick to your old one if you haven't had any problems with it.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

New hub one is dual band & may improve your performance as 5ghz much faster.
I'm on adsl and was offered hub one.
jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Its probably fine for most people but a few things I didn't like about it was the fact it didn't display what wireless devices were connected, only wired. Also I have mutiroom speakers that would keep disappearing from my network. Once I replaced it with a draytek the speakers never disappear.

I liked the pink legs though Smiley

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@jrilton wrote:

...didn't display what wireless devices were connected, only wired.

Strange, I can see wireless connected devices on mine.