cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router Constant dsl drop outs from 6pmish onwards.

wilddemoncat2

New Router Constant dsl drop outs from 6pmish onwards.

Hi,
Please note routers when plugged into test socket act the same.
I have been using an old Netgear DG834gt router for years, and I have almost never had any dsl issues, now I need to upgrade it since it seems to be overheating alot(and turning brown...)
I do some research and get a Fritzbox 3490, install it seems to be working great, until that day at around 6pm the dsl starts de-syncing every 30 sec to 2 min becomes totally unusable I only manage to get back on with it the next morning.
But I plug my old router in....works great.  
Call Plus.net support after 50 min on hold, finally get someone and they claim its the router.... ok fair enough, I send it back order 2 new routers a tp-link and a netgear x4s.
Install them same thing, great connection until later afternoon and then dead can't connect with them until 8am (last time I tried was 2am) and its working great again.
Call plus.net again(2x30 min as get disconnected on first call and no callback.)claims all 3 routers must be at fault and to try with one of theirs.
While I wait for new router to arrive, does anyone have idea whats going on?
Thanks
Below are stats
New Router after 6pm
DSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7.84 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Line Attenuation 36.60 dB 18.50 dB
Noise Margin 5.9-6.30 dB 25.00 dB
Before 6pm
DSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8.13 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Line Attenuation 36.70 dB 18.00 dB
Noise Margin 8.40 dB 25.00 dB
Routers I've used that don't work
Fritz 3490 DSL Modem
NETGEAR D7800
and TP-LINK Archer VR900
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New Router Constant dsl drop outs from 6pmish onwards.

Looking at the times the disconnections occur they start pretty consistently at 6pm. Does this correspond with anything happening locally, either in your premises or local area? Electrical devices, heating turning on?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
wilddemoncat2

Not really, I doubt its internal rein since when I'm out I have nothing on anywhere near it, externally no clue.  Finally had engineer out yesterday checked wiring etc. he found a possible problem and fixed it, yet problem continues...
On that graph any time thats working after 6pm I've swapped routers back to the old netgear for solid connection, also the time when it claims I had no internet connection for 2 days I know I did.....
cedlor
Grafter

There was a problem with the radius graphs - there are a few posts about it so you can forget that aspect.
So in summary  all three routers work fine throughout the day until 6pm
Only the  Netgear DG834gt works 24/7
So when the Netgear DG834gt is working after 6pm do you notice any speed problems - maybe do a few tests before and after 6pm.
There is a general increase in noise between dusk and dawn which can reduce speeds - moreso in the south east of the country. (AM radio interference from europe)
Are the other two routers set up  with the correct adsl mode  - if you are on adsl2+ are they set on that or are they set on Auto?
Were you there when the engineer was there - What problem did he find and what did he do to fix it.
Have you tried setting the Fritzbox up after  6pm  ( not the best time to be re syncing but  maybe worth a try as a one off)
wilddemoncat2

none of the new routers work after 6, if they are connected they will try connect dsl then de-sync in a minute or 5, seems to get worse later it gets other day I got home at 10:30 and it couldn't connect at all even for a few secs.
if old router is in and working and I swap in new router after 6 it just goes into same connect disconnect loop.
Old netgear works fine, and I have noticed no speed problems at all with it at any time.
thanks
cedlor
Grafter

Ok - only thing I can think is that the routers faulty  or are set up incorrectly. If you want to post screen grabs of the set-up pages perhaps we can spot something.
Maybe set one up ready for connection but dont have it plugged in -then it cant connect then post the pictures.