Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New RT-N66U router

Reason5
Grafter

New RT-N66U router

Well I finally decided to do it and bought a brand new ASUS RT-N66U
Hopefully Ill be able to do some on-line game without been kicked or suffer lag ......Now
What I would like to know is on set-up it said there was a new firmware available which I skipped as was not sure to do it as I read some were it's not always
the best thing to do...   So is the new firm ware a good thing or not Huh And can I do it wirelessly from my laptop if I down load it later .
Also I have the router sat on top of the BT open reach box which is near the window ...... But noticed straight away that the RT-N66U runs quite warm
so I'm a bit concerned whether to leave it sat on the BT modem ...... Or am I just been tot over ally concerned.
Kind regards Reason5  
7 REPLIES 7
flaminmoses
Grafter

Re: New RT-N66U router

ive got its big beast of a brother the AC66U.
new firmware is very stable
AndyH
Grafter

Which f/w are you running?
The router does run hot, but I have found the latest f/w by merlin/tomatousb runs pretty well and cooler than the asus f/w. I've just tried the latest asus f/w and it's running higher than normal:
ASUSWRT RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Thu Jan 24 22:35:38 UTC 2013
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
73 (0x49)
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
79 (0x4f)
To get the temp, you divide the output / 2 and +20....so it's running at 56.5c and 59.5c
Bright
Grafter

The new Asus firmware is fine - no problem to update. Or better still, update to Merlin's version of it which has some useful extra features, a few additional bug fixes and, as AndyH says, is reported to run slightly cooler (not checked that myself). If you're not happy with it, you can easily revert to the official Asus firmware.
The official home page for Merlin's firmware is http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79
(note the page hasn't yet been updated for the latest release).
There's plenty of background info on the support forum for Merlin's firmware at: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42
I'd strongly recommend you connect your laptop to the router with an ethernet cable if you're going to upgrade the firmware, rather than using wireless. Much safer!
Yes, the RT-N66U runs a little warm. The Openreach modem doesn't seem to generate much heat, but you'd be better off not putting the Asus router on top of it since the Asus box has its vent slots underneath. And if the sun shines in through that window, it may not be an ideal spot on a warm, sunny day!
Hope you're very happy with your new router  Smiley
Reason5
Grafter

Currently running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.260
I would like to see the temps on the router !! Was told to us this link here which shows me cooler status page but I seem to be locked out of it
as the Graph is not showing anything Huh
http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_PerformanceTuning_Content.asp
Reason5
Grafter

Hi updated NOW to Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.270
Just one more thing can you run say the two laptops  in my house on 5GHZ  instead of 2.4GHZ and how do you choose the devices to do this or do the laptops
have to have the physical hardware to run at 5ghz  instead of the 2.4ghz.
Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a dumb question . kind regards Reason5
Bright
Grafter

The laptops have to be capable of operating on the 5GHz band.
The easiest way to differentiate between the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks is to give them different names (SSIDs). Then you can see them as separate networks and switch between them on devices that support 5GHz.
Reason5
Grafter

Cool Thank's duded