cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Product launch today

Assos
Grafter

Re: New Product launch today

So it's basically the original PAYG 10GB special offer, but being marketed to gamers and with slightly higher per GB prices?
Looks a good product and I'll definately be considering it for when I go home from uni over the summer etc (the other holidays are a bit too short to make it worthwhile.
I presume you are still free to switch between the all BBYW products at leisure?
Assos
Grafter

Quote from: thehatman
It is the same as the PAYG 15GB deal for the same price but with 5GB less.

Yup, looks like the same basic product as at the launch of the PAYG special (it originally only came with 10GB but later the allowance was upped to 15GB) offer, but with more expensive per GB prices.
James
Grafter

Good idea.  I'll ask around.
phil
Grafter

[quote author="Scurv-aceous" Hubert Hacke link=topic=1617.msg15581#msg15581 date=1190196019]
Will there be gaming specific banners?
Hi 'Hubert'
Cool idea!
Do you have any examples of banners that you like or any thoughts on what would work for you? sizes, styles, etc...
Phil
Be3G
Grafter

I've got a couple of questions/thoughts about this...
1. Why is the product being marketed to gamers especially? As far as I can see from this page, the gaming experience (inc. VoIP) on BBYW Pro would not be any different to BBYW 2/3/4... yet with the latter options, people would get more usage for their money. PN mention the low pings/latency with the product, but that's just a result of the high prioritisation of gaming/VoIP traffic right? So seeing as BBYW 2/3/4 also offer high gaming/VoIP prioritisation, what is there actually to attract a gamer to BBYW Pro? A cynic (and I'm not particularly saying I am one) could argue that you're trying to tempt to gamers on to BBYW Pro rather than, say, BBYW 2 just to get more money out of them, as the gaming experiences should be much the same on both products.
2. How does the traffic prioritisation on BBYW Pro compare with PAYG? The PN website doesn't detail traffic prioritisation for PAYG; it just says 'Broadband PAYG is designed for customers who want to enjoy high-speeds at all times of the day. As such, our PAYG service is prioritised on our network at all times, for all types of traffic. ' What does this mean - all gold? All titanium? Or a similar arrangement to BBYW Pro, with everything but gaming/VoIP in gold?
James
Grafter

Hi Thomas,
In answer to your first question, gamers would benefit from being on BBYW Pro as opposed to the other BBYW products as all gaming and VoIP is prioritised as titanium traffic.
In honesty, there won't be a massive difference between PAYG and Pro. Traffic is handled in the same way.  It's juszt the usage allowances that are different.
The main point to bear in mind in here is firstly that PAYG is a legacy, not for sale product, with Pro obviously being a current one and for an extra £5, you get an extra 8GB of usage.
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Pirate
In answer to your first question, gamers would benefit from being on BBYW Pro as opposed to the other BBYW products as all gaming and VoIP is prioritised as titanium traffic.

But according to the page I linked to in my previous post, BBYW Options 2/3/4 already class gaming and VoIP traffic as titanium. Or is the operative word in your statement the 'all'? If so, that's not made clear on PN's website whatsoever. Anyone who bothers to look at your webpages about traffic prioritisation would see that gaming/VoIP is classed the same on 2/3/4 and Pro; there is nothing gaming-related on your website which differentiates the products. The only differences are the prioritisations/rate limits of other types of traffic, e.g. HTTP, P2P, and so forth.
As I say, I'm not trying to be awkward... it just seems that, from my rather shrewd point of view, this product is being completely mis-marketed and doesn't really have anything particularly special to offer to gamers - although that isn't to say I think the product's a bad one (see below).
As for the queries about Pro compared with PAYG, that was basically just out of my own interest - I'm on the old 15GB special offer but never use more than 10GB, so was wondering if I'd see a higher traffic priority on Pro, in which case, I was going to consider switching - but seeing as they're roughly the same there's no need to.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suspect one difference is what happens with games which have not yet got signatures. On BBYW 2/3/4 what priority would the unrecognised traffic default to? On Pro it would be Gold.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LiamM
Grafter

Yep.  BBYW 1-4 would see the unidentified gaming traffic moved to Silver - which is the primary reason why this product can be targetted specifically at Gamers.
Be3G
Grafter

Ah-ha - Ok, in that case fair enough - I can understand then why gamers might particularly like the product. However, my point still stands that there is no mention of anything like this (i.e. a differentiating factor for gamers) on PN's website.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Cap
Yep.  BBYW 1-4 would see the unidentified gaming traffic moved to Silver - which is the primary reason why this product can be targetted specifically at Gamers.

In that case it sounds like a good option for those who are inclined to get in to beta versions of new games - however the 10GB allowance could bite them!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ianwild
Grafter

It's worth addind that we won't just be targetting BBYW Pro at Gamers - There are other types of uses that could really benefit from this type of product and we may well run seperate campaigns aimed at those later in the year.
Obviously the 10GB allowance is just a function of the costs involved in us delivering this type of service over IPStream. As wholesale costs come down that will be reflected in the usage allowances on all of our products. That said, wholesale costs being what they are may not change significantly until the rollout of the BT21CN network is well underway...
Regards,
Ian
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Ianwild
It's worth addind that we won't just be targetting BBYW Pro at Gamers - There are other types of uses that could really benefit from this type of product and we may well run seperate campaigns aimed at those later in the year.

I agree - as a user of the 15GB PAYG special offer, I do think there's certainly a good deal of appeal to a high-quality broadband connection without large data allowances, for those of us who don't do lots of downloading, but want it to be fast when we do.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Having looked at the new product - it states
Free overnight usage
Usage between midnight-8am doesn't count towards your usage allowance. That means you can stay up all night playing games across time zones without using your allowance. You can also schedule patch downloads for these hours.
Titanium - This is the highest priority on our network. Gaming and VoIP traffic is in this level.
Gold - All other Broadband Your Way Pro traffic is in our gold level.
Silver - No Broadband Your Way Pro traffic is in this level.
Bronze - No Broadband Your Way Pro traffic is in this level.
Putting these two together does this mean that all the free overnight usage is gold hence giving this product an immediate advantage over all other products for P2P for example. Also where do the old PAYG products fit into this.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Mand: BBYW Pro gives you 10GB prioritised traffic per month but prioritised over what? In particular, is the priority level now the same as the business-class products?
I use one of the legacy PAYG Teleworker Pro accounts with 4GB pre-paid (which is adequate for me), and which is more expensive than the new offering. What pls would I lose if I convert? 
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017