Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet user, No Internet

FIXED
Lel_sdw
Hooked
Fixes: 1

New Plusnet user, No Internet

I joined Plusnet recently, but after numerous phone calls to customer support and engineers checking the line at the exchange, I'm still unable to connect to the internet. That's been over 2 weeks now and apart from the aggravation, I run a small business and have started to rack up charges on my 4G for going over my monthly limit so you can guess I'm pretty annoyed.

Some work was done at the exchange, but I can't say I understand it. Looks to me like they claim to have found something, but I have my doubts, since there was nothing wrong with the line before switching from BT to Plusnet.

Since then I've tried the following:

The helpdesk told me to try changing my router username/password to username@plusdsl.net and password to match member center login, but no joy. [Note I'm familiar with how this works, so am sure I'm using correct username/password]

I got hold of an old TG585 v7 router, ADSL cable and filter, did a factory reset on it, tried them at another Plusnet customers house with their username/password, which worked, then tried them at my house, but no joy.

Both routers show green lights for Power, Wireless, Ethernet (when connected), Broadband, but the Internet light stays off.

Note my landline phone works fine.

I also tried bt_test@startup_domain which showed test page at another Plusnet users house, but message "connection could not be established, could not bring up link" at my house.

Lastly, the TG585 has a 'check connectivity' test which shows

DSL - ok
ATM - fail no ATM activity detected on your DSL line
PPP - fail could not bring up link
IP  - fail
Internet - fail

I'm totally ignorant about what happens at telephone exchange, so any help to figure out where the problem is likely to be would be greatly appreciated.

(Sorry about length of post!)

6 REPLIES 6
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: New Plusnet user, No Internet

Hi @Lel_sdw

Welcome to the Forums. 

You have a fault on you line which is preventing your router establishing a connection to the internet. 

I have looked into your account and can see that an engineer has been assigned to go out and clear the issues as per the most recent updates on ticket 186882583

Please can you let us know how this goes? 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Lel_sdw
Hooked

MoR,

Thanks for the swift reply. Will let you know how it goes,

Lel_sdw

Lel_sdw
Hooked

Fix

MoR,

All good now, fault was cleared yesterday.

I've not seen the report yet, but sounds like the main reason for fault was incorrectly wired line (at 'tie line'?) after switch from BT to Plusnet. I don't know who was at fault.

Before closing down this thread do you have any help or advice on how to go about trying to get some goodwill/compensation payment, since it's taken over 2 1/2 weeks to clear the fault, and has cost me a lot in frustration, time and mobile charges?

Many thanks for your help,

Regards,

Lel_sdw

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Lel_sdw,

We can add 2 months worth of broadband credit to apologise and to refund for your downtime. Alternatively, if you'd like to update the ticket with what you would deem satisfactory and we will see what we can do for you. 

Lel_sdw
Hooked

JOLO,

Thanks for the offer.  I'll have a think and get back to you on 186882583

Meanwhile, I'll close this thread down now.

Regards,

Lel_sdw

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

No worries @Lel_sdw,

Let us know either way.