cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet customer. Require help

mirazuddin

New Plusnet customer. Require help

Hello,
I've just bought broadband with PlusNet which was supposed to be connected last week, however due to an issue they have told me it has been delayed and they will connect it in 5 working days. The issue in question is that there were no capacity available for 21CN so they will provide me with a 20CN. However, I have used PlusNets own exchange status checker and it ensures me that 21CN WBC is definitely available in my area.
I have read a bit about 21st Century networks but I can't find the actual difference between 20CN and 21CN.
Will it affect the performance of my broad band at all? Can you identify the differences between the two for more please?
Also I read that 20CN networks will all be disabled by 2014, what happens then?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Qdos

Re: New Plusnet customer. Require help

In a nutshell the difference between 20cn and 21cn is that the former encompasses ADSL products, up to ADSL2+, which gives end users up to 20Mbps downstream bandwidth.
21cn covers faster fibre/partial fibre connections on 40Mbps/80Mbps circuits.
HTH
mirazuddin

Thanks for your reply
So will I be able to upgrade to 21CN in the future as Plusnet should have provided me with it as it's available in my area
Qdos

You should be able to upgrade when it's available. Yes.
There seem to be significant teething problems however. I'm on an 80Mb fibre to the cabinet circuit and over six months my downstream bandwidth has fallen from almost 40Mb to appallingly low figures that barely exceed what I was able to consistently enjoy on ADSL2+ broadband. Sometimes even less. There are numerous threads started by other users with exactly the same problem. It's extremely frustrating. The so called faster fibre circuits seem to 'train down' to ridiculously low speeds for various reasons. It seems a major cause of this is increased sensitivity on the line to faults and interference; especially when the connections final leg involves copper pairs to the premises.
If you want optimal performance consider using a decent router/modem-router, the freebie type that any ISP tend to provide are not the best quality.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Qdos
In a nutshell the difference between 20cn and 21cn is that the former encompasses ADSL products, up to ADSL2+, which gives end users up to 20Mbps downstream bandwidth.
21cn covers faster fibre/partial fibre connections on 40Mbps/80Mbps circuits.

Incorrect.
20CN covers BT IPStream ADSL1 products and these run up to 8Mbps
21CN covers BT WBC ADSL1/ADSL2/ADSL2+  products and these run up to 24Mbps
http://www.samknows.com/exchanges/21cn_overview
21CN != FTTC/FTTP
Once 21CN is available you should be able upgrade your ADSL service to ADSL2+ without any problems.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Although 21CN is available in your area, there is no room at your exchange for it. Therefore rather than wait for more capacity to be added, or someone to cease their circuit, we're putting you on 20CN as a stopgap. This way you get a connection and as soon as there is room at your exchange we can upgrade you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.