Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Fibre Speed ?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New Plusnet Fibre Speed ?

It's definitely looking like a problem. That's pretty consistent on two Gateways.If a 3rd is the same then, the other thing you can try is eliminating the Router, by connecting your computer direct to the modem and setting up a PPPoE dialler. See
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-setting-up-a-pppoe-dialler-for-windows-xp/ or
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows... for guidance.
khaos
Dabbler

Just tried it and followed the guide.  Looks like I'm connected to gateway pcl-ag06 in City Lifeline House.  Guess what? Download speeds are even lower! 3 times tested each time its around 37-38 Mb/s.
Smufter
Dabbler

Not being funny but which browser are you using?
I was having similar results from BTW to yourself, using Firefox as my browser.
Went over to IE and Google Chrome, ran the same tests and was now showing what I should be getting.
Although I could be talking xxxxxxxxxx
twen
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice I will try a wired connection and see how I get on. I noticed that on the router configuration screen it currently says 65mb but I get nowhere near this using the tools over wireless so wired is next test. Will post updates shortly. Toby
khaos
Dabbler

Hi smufter, I did think of trying another browser, just to see what would happen, but then I didn't bother as I thought that it shouldn't make such a huge difference. Like you I was using Firefox, I'll give the BTW a shot later with another browser. So what speeds are you getting for both up and down? And how does it compare to your line capability?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I've checked over your connection and you're currently syncing in the high 70Mb/s. Have you been able to try a PPPoE conenction?
Quote from: Anotherone
It's definitely looking like a problem. That's pretty consistent on two Gateways.If a 3rd is the same then, the other thing you can try is eliminating the Router, by connecting your computer direct to the modem and setting up a PPPoE dialler. See
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-setting-up-a-pppoe-dialler-for-windows-xp/ or
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows... for guidance.

Also trying an alternative browser as suggested would be the next step.
khaos
Dabbler

Hi chris, yes I did the PPPoE dialler and ended up with worse speeds!  However I have now had the opportunity to run the BTW diagnostics again through Chrome and IE.  Problem resolved, special thanks to smufter!
here is the results when running through chrome:
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 75.53 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.81Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Anyone know why there is poor download performance through Firefox?
thanks to all for their input
Smufter
Dabbler

Results via IE 10.....
Download 73.49Mbps
Upload 15.46Mbps
Ping Latency 17.50
These figures are roughly what I expected looking at my line capability.
The only problem is.......IE 10 is painfully slow to load up pages. It's almost like being on dial up.
twen
Dabbler

Ok,
Managed to get results and diagnostics from the BTW. Seems even slower now. This is using Wireless so will try with a wired connection.
This was run using Safari browser on Mac.
Here are my current results:
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
16.58 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 16.58 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
4.38 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.38Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
twen
Dabbler

and mybroadbandspeed.co.uk reports
Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 10:05 28189 kbps (3.52MB/s) 15061 kbps (1.88MB/s)
very confusing...
twen
Dabbler

reran BTW again twice first was 42Mb down and about 12up.
Second time it was 29.02 down and 7.52 up varying all the time again using wireless.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: twen
and mybroadbandspeed.co.uk reports
Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 10:05 28189 kbps (3.52MB/s) 15061 kbps (1.88MB/s)
very confusing...

Don't use mybroadbandspeed.  It can't handle fibre speed tests properly.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Smufter
The only problem is.......IE 10 is painfully slow to load up pages. It's almost like being on dial up.

I would do a few things...
Reset IE Settings - Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset  (you can choose to Delete Personal Settings too)
Check the Add Ons - Tools > Manage add-ons > Under Show, tap or click All add-ons
Make sure Flash is up-to-date - http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html
Edit: I would also try running this http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/ It checks all your programs to make sure they're all up-to-date with the latest versions
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: twen
reran BTW again twice first was 42Mb down and about 12up.
Second time it was 29.02 down and 7.52 up varying all the time again using wireless.

Try speedtest.net - It generally gives me the best speeds out of all the checkers. It's also useful as it logs and graphs your speeds for you to review.
Have a play around with http://www.netspotapp.com/ which is a Mac WiFi survey tool - (bit of a guide here)
; It will allow you to fine tune the wireless performance of the router by measuring signal strength (you can tweak things like changing channel/angle of router to see how that affects things)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@khaos, Smufter & twen
which version of Firefox were you each running and on what OS?