cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Fibre Speed ?

twen
Dabbler

New Plusnet Fibre Speed ?

Hi, I have been connected to the upto 76mb speed Plusnet product today and line speed was reported by the engineer from BT at 78MB with upload around 20mb.
Earlier it was around 37mb using BT and Speedtest.net
However all the tests using BT speed tester seem to currently only now suggest 25mb download and about 17mb upload. When I do further diagnostics option it comes up with an error to try again later...
Similar results are shown on speedtest.net
Is this normal in the first 24 hours and should this speed increase again ?
According to the member centre the details are:
Estimated line speed:
71Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-03-20 13:32:38
Current line speed:
78 Mb
Any guidance would be great.
Toby
37 REPLIES 37
AndyH
Grafter

Re: New Plusnet Fibre Speed ?

When did you get connected?
Are you running the speed tests wired/wireless to the router?
twen
Dabbler

I was connected about 11am this morning and yes it was over wireless but has varied abd slowed down a lot today so wondered if I just need to leave it a bit ?
AndyH
Grafter

You really need to do a wired speed test to rule out your slower than expected speeds being caused by your wireless connection.
I think the PN profile looks fine - so you should be up to speed. It's probably worth getting your IP Profile from the BT Checker (Further Diagnostics page) once that's been updated for your new fibre connection.
anonymousthegee
Dabbler

To echo AndyH, do a wired speed test. For me, my wireless results max out at around 40mb down, compared to ~72mb wired. You should be getting full speed now - while the engineer was at my house, I did a wired speedtest and was getting the top speed immediately.
khaos
Dabbler

Hi, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I may as well post here as I have the same issue.  I was supposed to expect speeds of around 67Mb down and around 17Mb up.  BT engineer connected up today and according to him my line was capable of 80Mb down and 20Mb up which is fantastic.  Of course I would expect that to be throttled since I'm paying for "up to 72Mb".  I know that plusnet say that first 10 days speeds will fluctuate... however my speeds when measured with BT speed test, numerous times today have been around 50Mb down and 17.5Mb up. Lower limit around 42Mb down and just now my highest so far of 58.8Mb down.  All these measured with a wired connection.  Does this sound like there may be a problem?
AndyH
Grafter

@ khaos
What do you have for current/estimated line speeds here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
khaos
Dabbler

Estimated speed was 66Mb, it says current speed 78Mb.  But speed tests average 50Mb
AndyH
Grafter

Can you post the results of a speedtest.net test? (click 'Share This Result', then post the url as an image)
Edit: Could you also do a BT Speed Test and then run the Further Diagnostics and post the results of that (IP Profile etc.)?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

An innocent question but does the extra speed make a great deal of difference? My download speed is 42-45 which is more than enough for my needs & so much better than my old ADSL of 2.5.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm glad AndyH mentioned the BTw Performance test, this should be everyone's first port of call to check the BT IP Profile. Ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet, and do NOT reboot the BT Modem. But, it is advisable to log into the Router and in the Internet box (under Broadband Connection) click Disconnect to drop the PPP session, wait about 30 seconds then click Connect. The establishment of a new PPP session should ensure that the relevant servers are updated with the current sync speeds. Then run the test and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
The result will give the downstream BT IP profile for the line (Profile x1.033 = sync speed on FTTC). The Current Line speed (Login required) should update in due course to match the BT IP Profile but this can lag behind by several days!
@tijara33
For a single user, possibly not unless you are downloading large files, streaming several channels of HD TV and playing some on-line games all at the same time Wink  which of course in a family household with children and their friends could easily happen and consume that bandwidth . HTH.
Anotherone
Champion

@khaos
Can you run the BT Speedtester (Diagnostic) as explained above with a new PPP session, and then post the BT IP Profile.
Also the Estimated speed should give a possible  "range" as well.
khaos
Dabbler

Hi again people, forgive me but I couldn't see a 'share results' button anywhere so I just copied the key info from the test and pasted below.
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 45.57 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.68Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Anotherone
Champion

Hi khaos,
that's fine, copy and pasting the BT speedtest results is the best way, the "share results" applies to the speedtest.net not the BT tester, but speedtest.net doesn't tell you your profile.
So providing you did drop your PPP session and establish a new one, then that IP Profile should be a genuine reflection of your current connection and that there is not much wrong with that. Do you know how far you are from the Cab out of curiosity?
The actual achieved download speed however is not at all good. Could be a Gateway problem.
Check which Gateway you are on, make a note, then login to the router, drop the PPP session again and Connect after 30 seconds. Then check again which Gateway you are on hopefully it will be a different one, if so, run the first part of the BT Speedtest again and seen if there is any difference and post all the info.
khaos
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone, thanks a lot for all your help.
When I posted that last set of diagnostics, I had indeed dropped the PPP first.  The Gateway I was connected to was ptn-ag04 in Telehouse North.
Dropped PPP again and got connected to gateway ptw-ag02 in  Telehouse West.
Results of diagnostics pretty much the same:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 46.43 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.09Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Will try again to connect to another gateway.