Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Extra Fibre speeds

dizzler
Dabbler

New Plusnet Extra Fibre speeds

Hi Plusnet,
Had fibre installed this morning and so far very impressed .    However the download speed is only 40m ( yes I am being greedy )  at the moment and I was expecting between 60-80 ..
will this automatically increase over the next 10 days or will I have to call after the bedding in period to have it increased.
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Plusnet Extra Fibre speeds

Run the BT speedtest - diagnostic version and report the IP profile
dizzler
Dabbler

Hi Oldjim
  IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
Thanks
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Congratulations - that is as high as it gets!
What does it say here for Current Line Speed?
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

And how much usage does your View My Broadband Usage say?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dizzler
Dabbler

today it shows 1.97 GB from 250GB allowance 
dizzler
Dabbler

and current line speed 77.4 ?    now I am lost !
dvorak

As you only had it installed this morning it will default to the highest profile and will come down as your line trains throughout the next 10 days.
Customer / Moderator
WWWombat
Grafter

Fibre's DLM sets the line profile after monitoring for 48 hours - and triggers a resync if a speed or interleaving change is necessary. I've seen this in BT documents, and had practical experience of it happening. I haven't yet seen any evidence of a 10 day period...
Any other involvement of DLM seems to cause resyncs between 4AM and 8AM.
However the download speed is only 40m ( yes I am being greedy )  at the moment

What are you using to test with?
BT's tester can go flaky sometimes, while the Plusnet one seems to be flaky more often than not. Speedtest.net is usually OK, especially if you select one of the major servers in London.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
dvorak

Also, don't think this has been asked, are you testing via wireless or an Ethernet connection ?
Customer / Moderator
KevinG
Rising Star

If the answer is wireless I am going to get a large hammer out  Smiley
dizzler
Dabbler

Thanks all
I have Ben testing wired , no hammer necessary
I will monitor over the next few days and hopefully
See an increase
KevinG
Rising Star

From my experience I would say an increase is unlikely, generally it gets slower as DLM kicks in. You are on the maximum possible BT and Plusnet profile, so ought to be getting download speeds of around 75Mbps now. If you are only getting 40 that suggests something is wrong somewhere. Can you confirm what speed you get on speedtest.net?
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat

Fibre's DLM sets the line profile after monitoring for 48 hours - and triggers a resync if a speed or interleaving change is necessary. I've seen this in BT documents, and had practical experience of it happening. I haven't yet seen any evidence of a 10 day period...

I first read that when I downloaded BT's SIN 498 document in August 2011. The latest version I have was updated by BT in July 2012.
I still believe that to be generally the case, although I have (on reflection) recently ceased stating it to be rigidly the case.

Due to many engineering visits where physical external cabling works such as replacement drop wires, lifts & shifts etc. have been carried out, my DLM profile was reset via the engineer's request a few times.
On these occasions, I did see an uninitiated resync at a lower speed within the 48 hour period (usually around 5am), but Interleaving, INP & delay tended to SOMETIMES remain OFF beyond 48 hours - for almost 8 days on one occasion.
On each occasion, Interleaving was eventually switched ON, which obviously substantially reduced UnCorrected errors & also substantially reduced Errored Seconds.
My connection is now permanently stable again, no longer frequently resyncing "on the fly", with DS Interleaving depth varying slightly between 400 & 500 whenever I have needed to reboot the modem during home refurbishment works (all power turned off), DS INP at 3.00 & DS delay at 8.00.
So, perhaps my empirical data does confirm that the 10 day training period does still apply (sort of, to some extent, for some connections).
SIN 498 also states that DLM is an ongoing process anyway.
From my experience, unless there is a complete loss of service, BT refuse to send engineers out within the first 10 days.
"2.2.1 Dynamic Line Management
Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target link quality (speed and stability). It does this for as long as the product exists.
At provision, the line is put on “wide open” VDSL2 line profiles allowing the upstream and downstream line speeds to run at the upper limit of the product option selected.
On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected. Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before deciding if it must intervene, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day."
& so on...............
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dizzler,
I have checked your sync speeds and they are currently sat at 77MB/s, so 40MB/s is quite some way off.
Are you connecting wireless or wired?
Chris