cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Customer, Slow Speeds

chewie
Grafter

New Plusnet Customer, Slow Speeds

Hi,  I do have an open question with support about this but wondered if anyone had any ideas as to why I'm experiencing slow download speeds.
I'm a new Plusnet customer and migrated from my old service provider last Wednesday (I was previously on a 512 fixed speed).  I have done various speed checks including the BT tester and regularly been checking my router stats.  My sync speed has been between 6500kbps & 8000kbps and my IP profile is currently 6500kbps.  However, my IP throughput is very low and seems to be constantly around 460kbps.  I have also noticed that under connection settings in my Plusnet member area my current line speed is listed as 500kbps which doesn't match what I'm getting from my router stats & the BT test.
Has anyone got any ideas what's going on here?  I realise that for the first 10 days the line has to go through a training period but I do seem to be getting consistently good sync speeds and my IP profile is pretty high.
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Plusnet Customer, Slow Speeds

You need to raise a ticket with a copy of the BT test requesting that Plusnet update their systems - alternatively a rep may pick this up
chewie
Grafter

Hi thanks for your reply.  So to confirm then, is my IP throughput restricted until this is adjusted by Plusnet?  (If this is the case I'm not sure why they wouldn't have picked it up as I have already provided a copy of the BT speedtester stats which showed what my sync speed was).
gogeta126
Grafter

Quote from: chewie
Hi,  I do have an open question with support about this but wondered if anyone had any ideas as to why I'm experiencing slow download speeds.
I'm a new Plusnet customer and migrated from my old service provider last Wednesday (I was previously on a 512 fixed speed).  I have done various speed checks including the BT tester and regularly been checking my router stats.  My sync speed has been between 6500kbps & 8000kbps and my IP profile is currently 6500kbps.  However, my IP throughput is very low and seems to be constantly around 460kbps.  I have also noticed that under connection settings in my Plusnet member area my current line speed is listed as 500kbps which doesn't match what I'm getting from my router stats & the BT test.
Has anyone got any ideas what's going on here?  I realise that for the first 10 days the line has to go through a training period but I do seem to be getting consistently good sync speeds and my IP profile is pretty high.

lol, welcome to plus net Wink be prepared to raise tickets about speed quite often.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you posted the IP profile then I can only put it down to either not reading the ticket properly or ignorance - either way this is a case for re-education.
There are no reps on at the moment but if nothing happens by the morning I will flag it up
Just ignore the post above. The report of the IP profile is supposed to be automatic - in this case it obviously wasn't. Possibly because you were on a fixed speed connection and the BT systems only report a change in profile on max and yours probably didn't change from the initial setting.
Once James or one of the other reps comes on-line it will be fixed in short order
chewie
Grafter

OK thanks for your help, have now raised a ticket with screenshot of current speeds.
chewie
Grafter

Well, I raised a ticket to increase my current speed to match my IP profile and received the response below.  I'm a bit confused now, I've been checking my IP profile for the last few days and it's been 6000 - 6500kbps.  All I want is my speed raised by Plusnet to match this.
'Thanks for getting in touch. We checked through your connection logs and noticed a very high number of disconnections. BT's DLM (Dynamic Line Management) system can lower and raise the profile applied to your line due to the results it sees from ongoing assessments it carries out on your line. If the DLM sees stability issues this will cause the profile to be lowered with the intention of stabilising the connection. In the same way if the DLM sees a stable connection at a higher synchronisation rate it will usually raise the profile accordingly. Unfortunately because of this if you have a lot disconnections it will cause a speed fault as an unfortunate side affect. n.b. if you are using a router you may not notice the disconnections as the router will reconnect automatically for you.
You need to be careful not to frequently restart your broadband equipment as this can be interpreted as a problem by the DLM and may incorrectly cause the lowering of your speed profile. The service is provided as 'upto 8mb' and each line has varying capabilities with some people only getting 1mb and other getting near the maximum 8mb. The main two factors that determine the speed you will receive are the physical line quality and the line length from your exchange.
To get this solved, it'd best that you raise it as a fault through:
http://faults.plus.net
If you wish to discuss it further, pelase feel free to get back in touch.'
Denzil
Grafter

@gogeta126
That is not a helpful post, now, is it? Certainly many people have occasional speed issues, and a few have repeated problems, but most speed issues are caused by line problems or customer's wiring or equipment, neither of which are Plusnet's fault. Give them a chance and they are generally pretty good at helping to sort these problems out.
@chewie
Usually PN's system is automatically updated to reflect the BT's IP profile, but glitches can happen. Hopefully someone can give it a kick in the morning.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

@chewie
Leave it until tomorrow when I will make sure a rep picks it up.
In the meantime leave your router connected.
If you are getting a lot of disconnections the BT automatic systems will increase the default noise margin to stop it happening. This is nothing whatsoever to do with the IP profile.
The ticket response is rubbish and I will ensure this is picked up.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The wording on the ticket response is very bad in the first half. It uses the term profile whan it should refer to Target Noise Margin. It then talks about lowering the profile when it should talk about "raising the Target Noise Margin" which generally results in lower sync speeds and therefore a lower profile. In a stable situation with higher sync speeds the profile will rise after a few days. Reductions in Target Noise Margin require much longer periods of stability.
@chewie
One thing you could check is that you didn't plug anything in that isn't via a filter, especially check that things like sky boxes are connected via a filter.
chewie
Grafter

Thanks for your help Oldjim, that did the trick.  Now have decent throughput speeds.  Apparently my account wasn't flagged by Plusnet as being on the up to 8mb service so the system wasn't aware it should be looking for profile updates.
It's a shame it wasn't picked up earlier, especially as I was saying all long there wasn't a problem with my IP profile. But hey ho, it's fixed now so that's the main thing.  Thanks everyone for your help.

chewie
Grafter

Everything is still looking ok with this.  One quick question..should I be rebooting the router once a day now though to achieve best results or just leaving it on all the time?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I would just leave it on as it all  seems to be OK.
However if you would prefer to switch it off over night that wouldn't be a problem either
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I'm glad your speeds have picked up now Smiley
Regarding the router reboots, it's generally advised to do it once a day in the first 10 days of service, but there's not really any need to do so once you're outside that period.
chewie
Grafter

Thanks for that.  I was worried that if I switched off, I would potentially get a lower synch speed and risk being stuck with a rubbish IP profile for 3 days..but I guess that's not how it works.