Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PlusNet router is slower than my 12 year old Netgear

DavMcCC
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New PlusNet router is slower than my 12 year old Netgear

Having over the past many weeks slow ever thing. connecting, downloading, uploading, Amazon fire-stick sits and buffs ? I am just getting feed up with the hold lot, so I phoned plusnet on 0800 432 0200 and it didn't work either, it just kept ging over and over the same message..  also I got a phone call while I was typing this, the connection so bad I could just about hear the other person speak !

New router made no difference, fitted a new mark 6 wall plate master socket, with new filter, no change

Done a line test the screen shot is the best speed I have seen in a long time, but in real life the upload is an average of 128kbs and the download is about 300kbs

I use to get the max download speed of 18mb + on testing the line but not any longer

Any help would be nice

5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: New PlusNet router is slower than my 12 year old Netgear

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @DavMcCC,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues. To help us better diagnose where the problem lies, please can you clarify if you are also experiencing issues with the phone line as well as with the broadband?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

OP stated, "... also I got a phone call while I was typing this, the connection so bad I could just about hear the other person speak !" so yes, I'd say so.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@DavMcCC

You will never get decent broadband if your telephone line is poor. Ring 17070 and select the quiet line test option. If there's noise on the line then report a phone not broadband fault to however supplies your telephone service (some people use a different company rather than Plusnet).

If you are with Plusnet then this may help. https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ If you follow through the links to the troubleshooter I understand that the system will automatically report a fault without you having to hang on the phone.

When you have a quiet line then that's the time to address any remaining broadband speed issues, should they still be present.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi  DavMcCC, 

I've just been testing your line but don't see any obvious issues. We've reported a fault so you should hear back from us about that soon. 

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team