cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PlusNet customers get no webspace..??!! Help

fonebone
Grafter

New PlusNet customers get no webspace..??!! Help

I was happily with PlusNet up until a year ago when I moved house into a cabled area. Ever since I have been itching for the contract to run out so I could get back to PlusNet... Richard Branson and all he surveys, quite frankly, makes my flesh crawl.  Anyway...
I was within an inch this morning of making the phone call when I very luckily just noticed that PlusNet now do not allow new customers any webspace... I can't believe it. A few mb's of space in this day and age..?   Not to mention the existing PlusNet webspaces.  Not to mention keeping ur customers happy...  Not to mention the Web Hosting (including PAYH) forum here.
Is there ANY way around this?  This is an absolute dealbreaker for me.  My tiny little website may not be much but it is my IDENTITY.
Any solutions gratefully considered.   tia.
Do not condemn me to more Sir Richard.
( I am using my PlusNet Community Forum login from a year ago, btw, so I don't think PlusNet can be all that bothered about a few KB's of space... )
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New PlusNet customers get no webspace..??!! Help

Have a look at the various free hosting companies
fonebone
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Oldjim, but that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid by posting here. They're loaded with adverts or they got lousy urls or you have to 'appear' in their forum at least once every 14 days or something basic happens to you. It's like being back at school.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There are a number of regulars here who use free hosting without problems - hopefully they will come along with some suggestions
fonebone
Grafter

well, at this stage, I need more than hope.. my 30 day notification day is tomorrow or I get another month of Branson.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As you are on cable it will mean a new install which can take a week or so.
This means that even if you  order now and pay the first payment by credit card you will still have a period with no broadband.
When you switched to cable did you still have the phone with BT or did you shift it as well. If you took dear Richard's phone it will probably take even longer.
fonebone
Grafter

hold on Jim, we're drifting away a bit here... none of that is a problem. It is the PlusNet webspace that is the problem. I'm going on holiday for a while soon and I thought I would finish off the Virgin thing before I go and then rig up PlusNet when I got back.. (PlusNet already quoted me £49.99 for the new line)
There is an existing BT phone socket here with no dialtone, although it is possible to hear a faint electronic 'humming' on the line. There was a dialtone when I first got here but it wouldn't let me actually dial any numbers. I have the Virgin phone and broadband package at the moment but I'm used to living in a cave so a short while with no phone, etc., is just a matter of nostalgia...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Basically I believe your chance of getting Plusnet webspace is just about zero so either you get free web hosting somewhere else or pay for hosting.
mal0z
Grafter

I seem to recall that only a very low percentage of PN customers actually use their webspace - and it would seem this was the reason given ??.
If you only use a small website - does it have it's own domain ? - best if it does really - then have you looked at Freeola
Then if You do move ISP for any reason - there's no need to disturb your webspace
fonebone
Grafter

Thanks mal0z, I had a look and it's only free if you have Freeola Broadband, otherwise £3.49. Kind of defeats the object.
I don't mind going with the providers url name, it's reasonably easy to adapt it with a little username imagination. It's only a small website with a very few people notified of it so changing it around isn't much of a problem.
mal0z
Grafter

Sorry - it must have changed then - as one of our villages community websites has been with them for years with no problem.
So maybe there is a clue to why PN have stopped providing webspace - rising costs... ?
I hope others have suggestions for you .. Smiley
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: fonebone
Any solutions gratefully considered.   tia.

It's probably not what you want but Google Sites gives 100MB of free space. I've only had a very quick look and it looks template driven. I don't think you can upload complete sites and is probably OK if you want to create a simple website from scratch.
However you can link Google Sites (and Gmail and Google Calendar) to an existing domain also for free.
http://sites.google.com/
fonebone
Grafter

Yep, thanks MrC, but I have a Google account and I was taking a look a the Google Sites thing earlier today. It looked a bit basic to me and I don't think it would be suitable. You're right, I was just thinking about uploading the existing site after a few modifications and then updating it as necessary as usual.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When you left, did you keep your Plusnet account active so that you could continue to use your Plusnet email address? (you should have asked for the account to be downgraded to dialup PAYG).
If you did, that has a basic 25MB website allowance and if you were to upgrade that old account back up to any of the current broadband products you would keep that 25MB allowance.
What it wouldn't give you is the ability to host a domain.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:New PlusNet customers get no webspace..??!! Help

Hi fonebone,
If you request it when you phone up to order we can reactivate your old account if you wish - that'll come with the webspace included Wink