cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PN customer - will line retrain?

SueCole

New PN customer - will line retrain?

Hi,
I've just moved to PN from TalkTalk, so far so good. I had terrible performance problems with TT, although the line was sync'd at about 4Mbps the actual speed during the evenings and at weekends would become as low as 0.17 (speedtest.net) making most internet activity pointless (especially iPlayer).
Will the line 're-train' as part of the move to PlusNet, or do I need to request it? My line shows 49dB @ SNR of 15dB, my immediate neighbours run at approx 6Mbps
Any help/info much appreciated
11 REPLIES 11
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: New PN customer - will line retrain?

Hi SueCole,
Welcome to Plusnet and our community forums.
Are you able to connect to your test socket to see if there's any difference?
SueCole

Hi Chris,
I am currently connected to a master ADSL faceplate on the master socket, but I did also try a separate filter in the test socket as part of TT requests - sync was the same. There are no phone extensions from this master socket (I use wireless phones in the house).
I'm guessing that the SNR should be nearer to 6dB when the line eventually settles? Audio on the line is clear with no crackling/hissing.
Sue

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It should ideally be around 6dB. It will be best to wait for the 10 day training period to be over and then we'll be able to act from there.
SueCole

The line has been running well enough at approx 4M but I've returned from being away and the internet is incredibly slow (many different pages). The modem was left on whilst away.
A speedtest.net shows ping of 47ms, and upload/download of just 0.1M
Attempting to run BTW speedchecker (to see what the IP profile is) just fails due to timeouts.
I've tried the following:
- powered the modem off for a few minutes
- reset modem and re-entered details
- a different splitter
The SNR figures and sync rate for the modem show similar results to when the line was first enabled. Approx 49dB line, SNR of 15.2dB, sync of 3840kbps
The line sounds fine for calls, the phoneline account was moved to PN on 14th Oct whilst I was away (not sure if related?)
Sue
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: SueCole
The modem was left on whilst away.

Never a good idea if it can be avoided.  When you say connecting to the Test Socket was "the same" do you mean that download speed was the same or the router sync rate was the same or the downstream SNR margin was the same or all three?  If your current sync rate is 3840kbps but your download speed does not reflect this, perhaps you have a "profile", either the BT one or the Plusnet one, that has been set lower than warranted by your current speed.  If so, the best thing to do is to leave your modem/router alone and hope that Plusnet pick this up in the morning.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Sue,
Your profile has been reduced which is causing the slowdown of your speeds, I've placed a SNR reset to rectify this and you'll hopefully see an improvement within the next 4 hours.
I can see that your SNR has been brought down to 6dB already, can you let me know if that has improved things for you as your line profile hasn't updated yet.
SueCole

Hi Chris,
thanks for the response - speedtest.net now showing 4.8M
If it stays there I'll be very happy.
Sue
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to see Smiley
Let me know if anything changes.
SueCole

This problem has resurfaced again over this last week, modem is synced at around 3.4Mbps but with very high snr (15dB). The IP profile is low, but I cannot hear any interference on the phone line (no crackling or hissing).
It has been as low as .3Mbps (using BTW speedchecker), but was over 3Mbps this morning for a few hours, but the IP profile has dropped again to 0.5Mbps in the last few hours.
I have an ADSL faceplate on the master socket (no extensions) - I've tried running on test socket with a known working ADSL splitter.
Can you see what the line looks like from your end and advise?
This is maddening, it's been running very well at between 4 to 5Mbps since last year (plenty for iPlayer and Netflixx), I'd really appreciate and help,
Thanks, Sue
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi SueCole,
After looking at your account and running some tests, it all seem to be operating as normal with your speed profile being set correctly however DLM has kicked in on the line and dialled back the speeds to around 1mbps. Taking a look into the details that the fault check returned it seems that this was done because the equipment at the exchange has recorded a lot of disconnections which were seen to be a possible fault.
Looking at the connections logs for the past few days it doesn't seem overly excessive for discussions however there does appear to have been a couple of areas where there were the disconnections were concentrated which could well be the cause.
Have you been disconnecting the router around these times or have these drops been as a result of something else?
The testing has flagged a possible issue internal to your address so this could well be a faulty filter, faulty router or maybe even something causing interference.
SueCole

Hi Adam,
thanks for the reply.
I normally have a master ADSL faceplate, I've only switched the router off when I changed over to the filter on the master test socket (and then back again). It did not make a difference to the ADSL sync rate.
I've not noticed any noise on the phoneline at any time (incoming or outgoing calls). I'll go around the house and check all the extensions (there's not normally anything else plugged in, I use DECT phones in the house).
I use a TP-link router (for better wireless coverage), I do have a PN (Thomson) one I could try instead to see if there's a possible fault.
I'll report back.
Thanks again for checking, much appreciated.
Sue