cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Netgear Wireless - causing PC boot up to take 20 mins!

robertbeavan

New Netgear Wireless - causing PC boot up to take 20 mins!

Hi,
Anyone feeling helpful...?Huh
Upgraded from standard BT Voyager 210 ADSL router (that I got free with +net contract just over a year ago) to a netgear DG834G v4 wireless router yesterday.
Intall went fine and had both wireless connectivity to laptop and wired connectivity to pc .... but today PC (Dell Dimension 8300) is taking approx twenty minutes to boot after initially stating that there is a IP address conflict.... after twenty minutes though I'm able to connect both PC and laptop
Have checked all cables and re-installed etc.. done everything that's obvious to me, but problem persists...
Any thoughts/ ideas on what might be causing PC (which was working totally fine withBT router) to take so long, as going through this ritual every day will soon drive me mad!!   
Thanks!!!
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: New Netgear Wireless - causing PC boot up to take 20 mins!

Make sure that both the laptop and PC are set to 'obtain an IP address automatically' via DHCP. It sounds like one of them has been set with a static IP address. They should both then get allocated different Ip addresses from the Netgear router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scootie
Grafter

if your runing vista then these little instrutions will help you find the menu you need.
right click the two computers icon in the task bar(bottom right of screen) and click network and sharing.
on the left of this menu click manage network connection.
on this screen you should see local lan and wireless(on the wired desktop will only be local lan) right click the device in use on that computer and select propites.
right click the internet protocal version 4 and propites
make sure the dns and ip is on obatain auto and click apply. a reboot may be required but not sure
robertbeavan

thanks both for your input.
still on xp i'm afraid...
mister w, not sure how to set to 'obtain an IP address automatically' via DHCP - have had a root around in properties and (tcp/ip) and 'obtain an ip address automatically' is already selected... is this right?
Thanks for your help - much appreciated..
Mav
Fixes: 515

Have you tried uninstalling the Netgear and re-installing the Voyager just to see whether it really is an issue with the new router.
Could there be something else happening which is not related but, coincidently, started at the same time?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

n properties and (tcp/ip) and 'obtain an ip address automatically' is already selected... is this right?

Yep , thats right.
You can check the IP address thats being allocated by opening a cmd window and running ipconfig.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Have you checked in the router config that DHCP is enabled?
To do this log onto the router admin page and click Router Status. Halfway down you should see 'DHCP' which should say ON.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: robertbeavan
still on xp i'm afraid...
mister w, not sure how to set to 'obtain an IP address automatically' via DHCP - have had a root around in properties and (tcp/ip) and 'obtain an ip address automatically' is already selected... is this right?

Yes that's right.
Another thing you might want to try, is specifically specifying the local IP address yourself on each of the machines. Take a look at each of the TCP/IP configurations below. Use one for your laptop and one for your desktop and see if you have any more luck...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵