cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'New' Netgear Router on the way - Which Firmware is Best?

MrT
Grafter

'New' Netgear Router on the way - Which Firmware is Best?

In an attempt to resolve daily resyncs with my Thomson TG585v7, I have purchased a refurbished Netgear DG834G on eBay.
Question: is it better to stick with the Netgear Firmware or is DGTeam better?  Undecided
16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: 'New' Netgear Router on the way - Which Firmware is Best?

I preferred the DGTeam one when I had a netgear.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Which version did you buy
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I tried a GT with usual firmware and Team firmware. Either way I found it synced at a lower speed and it did no better at holding on to a line.
In the end I went back to using the v7.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: MrT
I have purchased a refurbished Netgear DG834G

Which version EXACTLY (there are 5 = FIVE!)? It's important.
MrT
Grafter

Gents - I bought the DG834G v3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Netgear DG834G v3, (TI AR7 chipset)
Not a good move  Roll_eyes
HPsauce
Pro

v4 or GT have a Broadcom chipset which is well-regarded.
Is that (still?) generally considered better for PN ADSL1 or ADSL2+ compared to TI?
bobboulby
Grafter

I've had a v3 for several years now and it's never given me a moments trouble - I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm running the Netgear firmware V4.01.40.
Bob
Edit - I've used it on both ADSL1 and ADSL2+
gingerbloke
Grafter

Router opinion is a strange thing, I've been using DG834N for years, and have set them up for friends and family (they're bargains off Ebay and you can update with latest firmware). I've never had a problem with them (4 PCs, an internet TV and PS3) but the internet is plagued with people that want to murder someone at Netgear because of them Smiley
I recently saw a situation where the BT engineer could not get sync with his bit of test kit but a Netgear router could ! It was one of the newer small black ones (don't know the model but could find it out if interested)
Adam
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: MrT
Gents - I bought the DG834G v3

If you do decide to load DGTeam make sure you download the correct firmware version.
Not sure about the v3 but the latest (1022?) DGTeam firmware for the GT was very large, close to the maximum, and some people had issues flashing it and "bricked" their units.
Although I do use DGTeam on my GT I would advise someone new to this to stick with the latest Netgear version unless you have very good reason to change.
frank39
Grafter

I am also a bit irritated by the frequent sync errors with a Thomson 585v7  (disconnects are every 12-60 hours) since I upgraded to ADSL2+.  Does anybody believe that a different router (I notice Oldjim fancies a Billion 7700N) will change things with respect to sync errors.  I tried reinstalling my Netgear DG834v2 and, while it held the ADSL and gave loss of sync less frequently, it would not reconnect automatically from sync errors.  My Thomson reconnects in 12 secs. The behaviour of both routers on ADSL2+ is different from ADSL.  So far I've decided to live with the Thomson.
Denzil
Grafter

It is not always that simple to say on chipset is better than another. I tried a Billion 7700N on my long line and it was so bad I sent it back. I am now back to using my DG834G v3. Perhaps it depends on what equipment is installed at the exchange, perhaps it is line conditions, I don't know, but a Broadcom chipset won't automatically be better.
MrT
Grafter

Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the responses.
Router arrived today - Netgear DG834G v3 with Firmware v4.01.40 (so bang up to date) in excellent refurbed condition. For anyone interested follow this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Netgear-DG834G-v3-ADSL-Modem-Wireless-Router-Boxed-/140535041704?_trksid=p...
I've set it up manually rather than use the Netgear CD - just thought I'd give it a go and learn something in the process.
I'll connect it to Broadband tomorrow or Saturday am - and hope for the best. I just hope Oldjim is wrong about the chipset (but probably not).
I'll stick with the official Netgear Firmware for the time being.
I'd thought of the Billion 7700N as well but went for the cheaper option initially. None of my kit is N enabled at the moment anyway.
digitaria

Quote from: Denzil
It is not always that simple to say on chipset is better than another. I tried a Billion 7700N on my long line and it was so bad I sent it back. I am now back to using my DG834G v3. Perhaps it depends on what equipment is installed at the exchange, perhaps it is line conditions, I don't know, but a Broadcom chipset won't automatically be better.

I also have recently gone back to my trusty DG834Gv3, using DGTeam firmware.  It syncs at a higher speed and is more stable than a DG834GT (which has the Broadcom chipset).
Another Zyxel router I tried was inferior to both Netgear units. 
My line is 3.9km.