Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member, Speed Issues

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New Member, Speed Issues

OK, silly question (perhaps) - what's your router's MTU set at?
tiffy
Rising Star

Many thanks to both for your continued support and patience.
My PC RWIN..
Strangely enough, I did use a RWIN setting of 111200 for quite some time which appeared to be best for me, however I re-calculated using my current connection speed and changed to 166800, this produced a consistant & repeatable speed increase on TBB from 0.85 to 1.15 Mbps..
I did try the change again today as you suggested, the difference was not so great as before but over a number of tests 166800 is definately still the better setting for my installation.
MTU setting in router..
Yes, my router is set at 1430 also, always keep PC & router the same.
Quote from: Jameseh

Our Support team have been unable to see any problems with your physical connection and neither can I!

Do I detect a note of annoyance ?
Please be assured that I very much appreciate the help and support being offered, it is a very pleasant contrast from my previous ISP..
However, from my point of view, left old ISP over speed issues & lack of support, speed slower with new ISP., report issue and seek support.
What else can I do ?
wigglylines

***However, from my point of view, left old ISP over speed issues & lack of support, speed slower with new ISP., report issue and seek support.
What else can I do ?***

Tiffy,
Exactly the reasons why I also left my previous ISP and exactly my current issues!
I was perhaps a little inaccurate in my previous note re: BT backbone. However the only point I can see is that the previous ISP had its
own equipment in the local exchange (LLU)  whereas PN apparently does not (according to PN support). No other alteration has been made to my systems.
Result?  PN is about 3.1 Mb/s and previous ISP 5.2Mb/s and it happened overnight on the day of transfer. Coincidence or not?
I will say though, the support and response from PN was exceptional whereas P***X (now known as T******) is appalling and has currently
billed me for a month and a bit after transfer. 
wiggly
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You might want to try this test: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
It performs 4 different tests and in my particular case I find that only the last one (streaming speed 3) gets close to line speed.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I tried that test and it crashed my Firefox 3.10  XP sp3, I rebooted, still crashed, rebooted again stopped all other, crashed again.
Ran OK in ie 6
Neilski
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
You might want to try this test: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
It performs 4 different tests and in my particular case I find that only the last one (streaming speed 3) gets close to line speed.

I think that was true for me too.  Any idea what the 3 different streaming tests are?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

No idea, but what did you get out of interest?
Maybe you'd better put that in your own thread, I'd forgotten this was started by Tiffy!
Tiffy, are you going to try the BBC test as well?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Tried it on Firefox in the office ( Windows XP ) , worked fine.
Tried at home, Firefox 3.0.10 ( Ubuntu ) worked fine.
@HPSauce , Results attached for info.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Neilski
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
No idea, but what did you get out of interest?
Maybe you'd better put that in your own thread, I'd forgotten this was started by Tiffy!

Yeah, don't want to hijack the thread Wink
But extra info on the nature of the 4 tests (courtesy of Google) - quote from http://upyourego.com/blog/index.php/2009/04/20/bbc-iplayer-goes-hd/
Anthony Rose said: “our diagnostics page performs a total of four tests: The first tests the download speed from our BBC web site servers, the next three tests measure the Flash RTMP streaming speed from each of three major content distribution networks (Akamai, Level3, Limelight), giving us excellent visibility into overall network throughput and allowing us to shape future design decisions accordingly.”

PS: my own results have been variable.  First time, one of the three was way slower than line speed - not sure which - but just now (after a hiccup with test 3 = 1kbps :)) they were all similar and fairly close (90%) to line speed (a measly 1Mb).
wigglylines

How the 'diddlythump' can one make any sense of these speed tests.....
BBC/iPlayer consecutive tests:
                                            Test 1                Test2              Test3                  Test4
Download speed            4131                  4124                4121                  4112
Streaming1                      4041                      379                  573                      515
Streaming2                      4100                    3648                      0                    4163
Streaming3                      4152                    4138              4109                    4114
Yup! the 379/573/515/0 are as measured...they are not typos.
Using speedtest.net straight after and it measured 1.79 Mb/s. and this is a site that PCPRO recommended.
Curious though...these site always report the terminal data rate even though the 'meter' shows a slow speed until the last 20% of the test period.
wiggly                     
tiffy
Rising Star

Thanks to all for your interest in & support with my issue.
Please feel free to use the thread, I find the information very interesting and informative am following with anticipation.
Not currently in a position to try anything at home as at work until 10/05 off-shore.
Plusnet tech. support were due to make some adjustments to my "system" on Wednesday, won`t get a chance to check results until the 10th., hopefully produces an improvement ?
Tiffy