cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ISP live date passed but Plusnet still working?

siriuscat
Dabbler

New ISP live date passed but Plusnet still working?

I switched broadband provider. The ‘Live’ date for adsl broadband with the new ISP was yesterday. Their hub light is still orange which means no internet connection. I’ve called their helpline; tests were done and I was informed that the line is active. An engineer should be sent to check internal wiring.

However, if I plug my previous isp (Plusnet) router back in,everything works fine. The help line suggested that I should maybe call Plusnet to cancel my account with them. Is that not their job when I switched? And as Plusnet (adsl) is still active, would this affect the new broadband ISP?

Thank you.

38 REPLIES 38
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: New ISP live date passed but Plusnet still working?

@siriuscat As you implied, your new ISP hasn't done their job correctly - it is the Gaining Provider who has the responsibility to manage the transfer, you should have nothing to do. Out of interest who is your new ISP?

John
siriuscat
Dabbler

NOW broadband.

jab1
Legend

Get on to them and tell them to do their job correctly.

John
siriuscat
Dabbler

I did and they suggest that I call plusnet myself. I'm just trying to figure out how to get out of this mess.

NOW want to send an engineer to check the internal wiring yet I still have broadband with plusnet.

If I call plusnet to cancel my b/band with them, will this fix the connection with NOW? Or do I call NOW again who will book an engineer (who may ask why I'm still with Plusnet). Or i could try to cancel the NOW contract (and continue with plusnet) but quite possibly will be stung with NOW leaving fees?

Any advice much appreciated.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 399

And as Plusnet (adsl) is still active, would this affect the new broadband ISP?

it's not possible to have adsl broadband active from two suppliers at the same time on the same line!

Since Now are an LLU supplier I suspect the required work to rejumper the line at the exchange hasn't been done.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@siriuscat It is NOW' s responsibility to sort this - you should have to do nothing once you have accepted their contract.

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Edit: There's been a few other posts between me starting this post, and actually posting it!

Just to expand a bit on the process:

1. You place an order with an ISP
  2. That provider (NOW in this case) place orders in Openreachs systems
  3. Openreach notify the current ISP (Plusnet in this case)
  4. The ISP is meant (under Ofcom rules) notify you that you are leaving
  5. Openreach then do the work in their systems/equipment to switch you

At stage 4 you have the opportunity to notify your current provider that it is incorrect and the orders could be cancelled, at which point your new provider would discuss this with you.

By the sound of things NOW haven't done stage 2 yet.

Cancelling Plusnet would leave you with no services.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

And that is up to NOW to chase up.

John
siriuscat
Dabbler

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking (you can't have 2 adsl connections) so for NOW to send an engineer for internal wiring is pointless. Trying to convince them of that would not easy (procedures etc).

siriuscat
Dabbler

So NOW hasn't placed the order with Openreachs systems (stage 2), And if they had, at stage 4 i should of had the option to reject NOW order. I've recieved no email/calls from Plusnet about leaving their services which I did find odd. Your information is VERY helpful.

Because I'm out of contract with Plusnet I'm paying a £ premium. But if i resigned up with them I guess that would throw a massive spanner in the works.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

That's correct.  If you where to recontract with Plusnet that would be on a 12,18 or 24 minimum term.  To get out of that you would need to play the Early Termination Charges which would be quite a lot at the start of the contract.  They are based on how long you have left.

If you talk to Plusnet though (COT team on 0800 013 2632) they may be able to give you a good deal to stay with Plusnet and you could just cancel NOW altogether, if the only reason for moving is the cost.

siriuscat
Dabbler

Even though NOW have never connected me (and arn't likely to in the near future) and I never recieved the option to reject the NOW order (stage 4)?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

You should be able to cancel NOW upto 14 days after you signed up to them (distance selling act).  You can probably cancel still (after the 14 days) as they haven't provided your connection yet, though that isn't a legal requirement so you'd probably need to talk to them.

You can recontract with Plusnet and take a deal with them even if you are still with them and out of your minimum term.  You would still be liable for any other contracts you have though, as I say in the first paragraph, so depending on time since signing up you may need to talk to NOW to make sure they aren't going to hold you to any charges if you did.

siriuscat
Dabbler

I'd definitely stay with plusnet whatever happens. And I really appreciated your help. Will give NOW another call. Cheers.