cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ISP live date passed but Plusnet still working?

siriuscat
Dabbler

Re: New ISP live date passed but Plusnet still working?

Having talked to NOW, they said they are already supplying my internet. I asked why the NOW hub wasn't working yet the plusnet router was/is. He wasn't sure but wants to send an engineer.

Apparently I am getting NOW broadband via a plusnet router. Is this possible? Is there a way to check the actual supplier? (Just checked my ip. Its plusnet)

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Not possible! I think NOW need a kick up the rear, as it is apparent that they have not even advised PN that they are taking over the service.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Apparently I am getting NOW broadband via a plusnet router. Is this possible?

No , its not possible.

I'm going to try escalating this thread to get a staff response to confirm if/when any transfer was requested by NOW ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

siriuscat
Dabbler

Thanks for everybody’s advice/help.

I finally talked to a NOW representative (the third one today) who spotted a potential explanation.

The landline phone number NOW have on record is one digit out from my actual landline number. NOW broadband may issue a new landline number unless you request to keep your original. The chances of a new number being issued so close to the original is unlikely so I (and the representative) think NOW have activated someone else’s phone line.

I will put my hands up if I got my number wrong (it’s always possible) but I had noticed the incorrect number in my initial email from NOW, so called them to rectify. They said ‘not to worry, the number has been updated’. I completely forgot about this issue until today’s representative pointed it out to me. They are not allowed to alter landline numbers so it seems I was previously given the incorrect information.

Everytime I phone up and they do a 'line test', they've actually been testing someone elses line.

I have to wait now for an engineer’s visit (not sure why) but obviously this cannot be allowed to continue. I’m not even quite sure how it could be allowed to happen (if this is indeed the problem).

I think I am now paying for a stranger’s NOW broadband and calls!

jab1
Legend

Yep, sounds like an almighty foul-up by NOW - I hope they offer you some compensation.

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I’m not sure that would be possible, but hopefully someone else can confirm for sure. I’m pretty sure the number would need to match the address, which it wouldn’t if the number was a digit out. Even if not, the real owner would have received a “sorry you’re leaving” message from their ISP.

My gut feeling is that they are still giving you the run around. It would be good to see what others think though.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thinking about it, @pjmarsh , I tend to agree with you. If the OP has had no  'sorry you're leaving' communication from PN, NOW have obviously not carried out due diligence in their operations, and certainly need to sort this - properly.

John
siriuscat
Dabbler

I can confirm I had no 'sorry your leaving etc' email or call.

And if the 'other' phone line has been activated by NOW then surely the owner of that line would have got the sorry your leaving message or at least something to indicate that NOW were taking over that line. Thats what I don't understand.

jab1
Legend

Unless they were already a NOW customer - but NOW would surely have queried that. Something has gone horribly wrong here.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

If you have the other number - call it and have a friendly chat with the number owner - tell then what's happened.  That will most likely help them sort out why they have lost their internet service.

If the number comes up unobtainable, you'll know that NOW have been the purveyors of pork pies.

siriuscat
Dabbler

Before I contacted NOW concerning the incorrect number (and asking them to change it), I did call the number a few times. I got the engaged tone then later on it did ring. I hung up before it was answered but I think its legit. The problem is that now the line is 'live' I could be liable if they start calling Outer Mongolia etc. (obviously unlikely and I may contact them in the very near future if I think it will help).

Im guessing at what internet set up they have and do they actually know the landline has been switched? If they are adsl or fttc they're broadband would go down I think. If they were full fibre, calls would still be affected wouldn't they?

The more I think about it the messier it gets. If I renew my contract with plusnet, would NOW broadband even be contacted and how will NOW rectify switching someone's landline (potentially) without their knowledge.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi, @siriuscat I'm sorry for how long it's taken to get back to you.

Your line with us is still active and looking over things we never received a transfer request from NOW

What makes things more bizarre is that from what I can see there's only one line at your property which is the one with us.

You may have to contact NOW and request that they cease the current line and take over the existing one 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MatthewWheeler  To be perfectly honest your post is as clear as mud. What is the current line and what is the existing one? Sounds like the same thing to me.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

That might be read as the current line NOW claim to be providing service on and the existing line Plusnet is providing service on.

Personally I’d be looking to can NOW any way possible.  It is incomprehensible how they can have arranged to deliver service on the wrong line which is clearly not at this address.

siriuscat
Dabbler

I really appreciate your help and thanks for confirming that NOW Bband have not contacted you concerning a transfer request. You are also correct, there is only one line to this (my) address and that line is, as you said, with Plusnet.

I signed up with NOW Bband and they have activated line that has no connection with with my name/address. As far as I'm concerned they have activated a complete strangers phone line with a NOW Bband and calls package but have used my details for payment.

I finally got through to a NOW advisor who understood the problem and has escalated it and will (hopefully) contact me this Sunday/Monday with advice.

And please correct me if Im wrong but I question whether they can 'mess' around with landline numbers without the involvement of Openreach etc (im not entirely sure)? I actually think NOW's only choice to solve my problem is to cancel the contract and request that I start again from scratch.