cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre customer with different BT IP profile and Plusnet Line speed

DrAsjadTai

New Fibre customer with different BT IP profile and Plusnet Line speed

Hello,
I am new to the forum and have signed up to the 76mb fibre service. I was quoted an estimated download of 66mb and this is exactly what I am getting. This has been the case since I connected one week ago.
The Bt profile lists my max speed as 66.28mb but the plusnet page says my line speed is currently 77mb. Can anyone explain why I have 2 different readings and is there anyway I can improve my bt ip profile to match the plusnet speed?
The plusnet page has been showing this for atleast 2 days with no change in my profile at BT.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: New Fibre customer with different BT IP profile and Plusnet Line speed

Hi there,
It's more a case that our speeds need to match those of BT's if our profile is higher for some reason then I expect that's an issue in itself as it should be matching BT's IP profile.
Having checked that I can see BT's profile is indeed 66mb at the present so apologies if we got your hopes up for a little bit extra speed!
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The Plusnet current line speed should track the BT IP Profile. If the Plusnet is higher you may find that things like gaming, streaming and VoIP are disrupted if you are maxing out your line with big downloads at the same time.
I'm surprised Adam didn't set your Plusnet speed to match BT.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DrAsjadTai

Thanks for your replies Jelv and Adam.
Ah well, so 66mb it is then.
I've just checked and my Plusnet line speed is still showing higher than the BT profile.
Adam  -  Should I message Plusnet directly about adjusting my line speed or is this something you can sort out for me?
MrTuningFork199
Dabbler

This is interesting as I generally find that whenever there's been a BT profile change (Whether induced by myself or DLM) the Plus net profile usually catches up in less than a day.
DrAsjadTai

As I hadn't heard anything back I decided to reset my modem at lunchtime today in hope that my BT profile would increase. Unfortunately no change in in the profile speed occurred apart from a few kb.
I think i'll raise a support ticket...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I don't understand why you thought the speed would increase having reset the modem.
I presume the ticket was to ask for the Plusnet current line speed to be set down to match the IP profile.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DrAsjadTai

Yes Jelv the support ticket was to bring down the plusnet line speed to match the BT profile as I don't want the errors if I max out that you mentioned.
While it was a long shot I was hoping DLM on the line had become stuck as my speed profile has not changed in the slightest since my connection. After some reading I have now realised that DLM on fibre does not work in the same way as DLM on adsl2.