cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Install. Went Well, But............

dai
Grafter

New Fibre Install. Went Well, But............

First up many thanks for the seamless intial fibre upgrade. I had the 8am-1pm slot booked. The engineer called at 07:50 and said that he was off to the cabinet to carry out the changeover and asked if it was conveniant to call at my home in around 15mins. He was very approachable and chatty and completed his task by around 09:10, so was pleased with that aspect. However, on sign up my estimate was 49.8 Mbps, I however only have 23.55Mbps from a wired check off the BTspeedtester. I know that its said that it could take upto 10 days to achieve my max speed, however every other person who I know who has upgraded has seen their max speed pretty much from the off. Its very dissapointing to be geting less than 50% of my estimate.
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
23.55 Mbps

0 Mbps 0 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 23.55 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 23.98 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
4.53 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.53Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
17 REPLIES 17
dai
Grafter

Re: New Fibre Install. Went Well, But............

This is what I get from my Plusnet portal:
Estimated line speed:
47Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-12-08 12:43:07
Current line speed:
78 Mb
Estragon
Rising Star

I've seen a couple of these in the past.  I think it can be to do with the ISP settings for your account not being fully set up at the time you connected.
I'd try a single switch-off of computer, router and modem for a couple of minutes in the morning.  Then modem and computer back on, wait for the DSL light to go solid green, then router on.  As in the PN instructions, it could be up to 15 minutes before it all then works smoothly.
If things are still as poor then, the install didn't "Went well". Ticket time.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

After 24hours of connection: Disconnect router via interface then reboot modem, after modem has DSL light on reconnect router and repeat BT speedtest (modem sync is slightly above the indicated IP profile).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dai
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions gents. I completed the power down procedure that you suggested, ran a wired BTspeedtest on re-connection, but my stats have only slightly improved. Here are the results of the most recent test:
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
25.19 Mbps

0 Mbps 0 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 25.19 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 25.81 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
4.43 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.43Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Appreciate all your help.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you know how far you are from the cabinet?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dai
Grafter

Approx 0.8 miles Jelv.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

At 0.8 miles (about 1km) an estimate of 47 or 49 seems a bit optimistic (though a sync around 26 seems a little low but bear in mind that the actual cable length to the cabinet could be a fair bit longer than the measured distance to the cabinet)
[Edit] This is a rather old graph:
http://www.buckconsult.co.uk/fttx/graphvdsl2.png
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi dai,
I've checked your line and the speeds you are seeing is the modem is currently syncing at.
Everything is set correct on your account to achieve higher speeds, so I'd advise going through our <a href="http://faults.plus.net">faults checker</a> so we can look into this further.
dai
Grafter

Thanks w23 and Chris. Chris I will do as you advise. I supect I know what the problem might be, as we are rural located, I would say that at around a half of the 0.8 line distance from the cabinet travels straight through tree branches were it is contorted and blown each and every way!
dai
Grafter

Completed a fault report Chris. Please excuse the first one as I made a mistake, so closed it down. Completed the second one, so look forward to hearing to you.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We've got that and testing will start shortly, we'll be back in-touch.
dai
Grafter

Well it appears that Plusnet have identified a fault with the line, can someone from Plusnet elaborate further on the suspected fault so I can discuss it with the Openreach Engineer when he arrives tomorrow? Also, is there a correlation of what download speed you should expect depending on what your upload speed is? Many thanks.
dai
Grafter

Well waited in for the engineer, and it was a no show! Upon phoning Plusnet they inform me there was a error on the system and no engineer was booked. Surely some kind of final check in the late afternoon should be introduced to ensure all appointments that are assumed to be booked, are actually booked? I was then assured that a new appointment is booked for tomorrow, and that a check would be carried out at 5 today to ensure a repeat error hadn't occurred!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Out of interest was that a PlusNet or BT "system" issue?
This thread might give you food for thought or prompt a comment or suggestion of your own: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109930.msg941545.html#msg941545