Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC install and TG582N/Asus DSL-N66U query/issues

MorthosDBC
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New FTTC install and TG582N/Asus DSL-N66U query/issues

Hey folks, had my 80/20 FTTC installed last week with Plusnet and had a few queries in regards to the standard equipment supplied and also any advice from users who are successfully using an Asus DSL-N66U on Plusnet FTTC (either using the internal VDSL modem or via the WAN port to the BT Modem).
1. Anyone having any issues getting full upload speed with the TG582N/BT Modem combo?  Since installation I'm getting 14mb upload and this isn't shifting.  I thought maybe this was the best I could get on my line (IP Profile is currently showing 20mb but get a fairly consistent 14mb upload only) but when I tried my DSL-N66U instead of the BT/Plusnet modem/router combo I was getting solid 18mb upload speeds instead.
2. Anyone on Plusnet using the Asus DSL-N66u (With latest supplied Asus firmware)?  I would have left this in place but I'm having disconnection issues with it so swapped back to the supplied Modem/Router instead.  If I use the Asus on it's VDSL modem it was dropping the connection every 10/15 mins (whereas the supplied devices have kept a solid connection).
3. My 3rd option was to try leaving the modem in place and connecting via WAN, swapping the TG582N out for the Asus instead but no matter what I click or configure I cannot get the connection to work via the WAN with the modem.  When looking at the Asus WAN I just keep getting "Remote server did not respond".  So if anyone has any experience/correct configuration for the Asus DSL-N66U either via it's own VDSL or WAN settings it would be appreciated. (and if you have this device have you had any issues with frequent drop-outs or know the correct config for setting up via the VDSL or the WAN?)
4 REPLIES 4
xreyuk
Grafter

Re: New FTTC install and TG582N/Asus DSL-N66U query/issues

MorthosDBC
Dabbler

Yeah had seen that thread thanks Xreyuk, though they all seem to be using the router only version RT-N66U was curious if anyone with the DSL-N66U had any luck getting it working with a Plusnet FTTC connection, will post in that thread and see.
Back to the Plusnet Supplied Modem though, anyone find it capping them at 14mb upload when other devices can get 18mb (tried swapping back and forth and the speed change was consistent, on the supplied modem I don't get more than 14mb upload but on another device I get 18mb). (Tried the modem via the router and direct connection to PC and 14mb upload on both, use the Asus internal modem and get 18mb speeds everytime).
It looks like my line can get 18mb upload except when using the ECI modem that was supplied.  Was curious if anyone else has seen this or if it's a possible modem issue (or config though not much I can do about that since it is locked down).
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MorthosDBC,
Based on the information you've provided I asked a member of our Products team and they have advised that it's unlikely a modem issue. They suspect that the Asus VDSL may have a better chipset which is resulting in it syncing at a higher rate. The modem supplied by Openreach isn't capped, however, it may just be performing lower in comparison. If you tried 5 different routers/modems you would very likely get 5 different sync rates. It's possible that the Asus has a lower SNR target set in it as well which is working in your favor.
MorthosDBC
Dabbler

Thanks Linn, figured it was something like that, just didn't expect such a large gap in performance (4mb diff in upload speed between the 2 seems a bit excessive regardless of the hardware, as would expect a modem being supplied for an 80/20 services to be better at getting closer to the 20mb speed if the line appears to be able to support it).