cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC install - Current Line Speed update, please.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

New FTTC install - Current Line Speed update, please.

FTTC installation went ahead this afternoon as promised - ADSL went off just before mid-day, and engineer (Quinns) called about 10 past 1 to say he was on his way. Duly arrived outside the house and rang again as he had been relying on satnav to find me.
Long story short - he changed my faceplate, plugged in the modem and then tried for about half an hour to get a line test on his tablet - 15th time was the charm.
I'm the first on our cabinet, and connected currently with the Home Hub 5 as I couldn't get the TP-Link connected to the modem using the WAN port. I'll come back to that later...
BTW Speedtest result:
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 11.12 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 13.17 Mbps
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

My line stats:
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:10:45
6. Data rate: 16690 / 68292
7. Maximum data rate: 16750 / 68466
8. Noise margin: 5.8 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 21.5
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 20.5

Happy with the line speed as estimate was 69 Mb/sec down, however my Current Line Speed has been left at the ADSL level and needs to be updated.
Estimated line speed:
69Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.)
- Checked on 2014-05-03 02:03:00
Current line speed:
11.8 Mb

The Hub 5 is being retired unless I can't get the TP-Link working - it's already rebooted itself twice since I started on this post... Angry
10 REPLIES 10
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: New FTTC install - Current Line Speed update, please.

Hi Jaggies,
Glad to see your install is all sorted, I've just updated your profile for you so hopefully now you'll see the benefits!
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, Chris - I can see the increase in the Current Line Speed, but it seems to be stuck somewhere else...

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 11.12 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 11.62 Mbps
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

have you disconnected and reconnected the router as it won't update until the PPP session is dropped
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Well, the HH5 rebooted again, so I've hooked it up to the Openreach ECI modem, and now much better.

Because the HH5 doesn't respond to pings, of course my BQM has stopped working. I'd like to get the TP-Link N600 TD-W8980 working with the VDSL modem - does anyone have one of these successfully connected to a VDSL modem, and if so, how did you do it?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Couldn't figure out the TP-Link WAN connection, so went out and bought a TL-WDR3600 instead - stable so far, after just a few minutes connected, but I suspect all this faffing around and router rebooting may have affected the DLM, but we'll let it settle down before trying anything else.
(ETA Speedtest graphic not working, so ran another one)
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Now back to ADSL speeds - Current Line Speed has reverted to ADSL value.
Current line speed: 11.8 Mb
So now the BTW speed test shows the following:
Results Image not loaded
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed 11.54 Mbps
0 Mbps 65.38 Mbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 11.54 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 52.3 Mbps-65.38 Mbps.
Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 65.38 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed 14.31 Mbps
0 Mbps 20 Mbps Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.31Mbps
Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

TAP3 test failed to display the page after connecting with speedtest@speedtest_domain - see attached graphic from early this morning (or late last night if you prefer)
Can the Current Line Speed be reset, please?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

That's sorted for you again, it looks like your final ADSL delta report trickled through that forced us to update your profile.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Thanks again, Chris. Back in the green...  Cool
petecov44
Grafter

Mine was done yesterday AM - The DLM has kicked in due to 2 short power cuts and dropped my speed - which is fine but I was wondering if you had access to the BTW page from the start? I can't get any results past the normal speed test - the further diagnostic page just fails.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

No, the first few tests I did went through the initial down/up/ping tests, but I was getting a failure on Further Diagnostics. It kicked in a few hours later.
Hah! Having said that, I'm now getting this on Further Diagnostics:
Test Error
The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

I'll try again tomorrow later today...