cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC cable due to building work

Zephon

New FTTC cable due to building work

Does anyone know what type of cable is used between the master socket and the FTTC modem? Due to having some building work done at our house the cable is no longer out of sight along the skirting board and there isnt enough slack in the cable to hide it nicely. So I would like to get some fresh cable of the right length to hide it properly.
Or is this something that I need an engineer from openreach to do and if so how do I go about arranging it and how much do you think it'd cost. I've had an admittedly quick look on their site and cant see a way to contact them for this. Any help would be much appreciated
10 REPLIES 10
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: New FTTC cable due to building work

The cable is an RJ11 to RJ11 cable (sometimes just called a 'modem cable') but PLEASE DO NOT USE a cheap flat modem cable.  The 'proper' ones have twisted pairs and are round rather than flat for this reason, you can buy twisted pair RJ11 cables in various lengths to suit most needs (avoid any that are excessively longer than needed though).  'Shielded' versions may not be beneficial except in particular circumstances, make sure it's 'twisted pair' and you should be OK.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Zephon

Having another look at the master socket and it looks like the RJ11 cable is wired directly to the faceplate with the cable going in at the bottom and then connecting to the socket from the inside with what looks like just 2 of the inner cables (a blue and a white and blue). Will it be a problem to disconnect this and then just use a standard connector into the socket?
Hopefully that'll work out fine.
Thanks for your help
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
For clarity, are you referring to a cable which goes from the master socket to the modem it's self, or about a cable that goes to a box that the modem plugs into?
I might be mistaken, but your description of a pair of blue/white and with/blue wires connected to the BACK of the faceplate, sounds more like a standard extension connection than a modem RJ11.  I.E. something like...
[ NTE 5 - master ]  << blue / white pair >> [ socket ]  << RJ 11 >> [ modem ]

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Or could it be a BT 'Data extension kit'.  If it is and as long as you're sure of what you're doing and use the correct cable spec it should be fine to extend as described (keep the existing cable to reconnect just in case and carefully note - or photograph - the connections before disconnecting).  Cat 5e Ethernet cable can also be used - I'm sure I have seen 2-pair Cat 5e somewhere which is ideal for this purpose as it's 'proper' twisted pair cable and less bulky than normal Ethernet (which has more pairs).
Don't forget to 'disconnect' via your router interface before powering down the modem, when the wiring is complete connect and power the modem and wait for the DSL light to got solid green before firing up your router.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
njay
Grafter

Does sound like a data extension as these are hardwired into the A+B connections on the VSDL2 interstitial plate. However I thought they put an RJ11 only socket on the other end that the OR modem cable plugs into. Also the Cable used on mine was as thick as cat 5e cable with 3 twisted pairs solid copper core. The or engineer had 100m drum he just cut the required length from.
Hth
Zephon

Yeah it runs from the master socket to the back of the modem into the dsl port via presumably a standard rj11 connector I will be taking photos of everything before disconnecting anything.
And I'm pretty sure it is the BT data extension.
So I should be alright getting a non flat rj11 cable with connectors and using that. If it doesn't work then I'll just put it back how it was connected to start with.
picbits
Rising Star

A standard RJ11 to RJ11 cable with twisted pair (not shielded) should be fine to plug into the top of the plate. It's actually an RJ45 socket but the RJ11 plug will fit in fine.
I put a link up before to something on Amazon that would do the job - I'll pop back with a link if I can find it.
picbits
Rising Star

Zephon

Thanks for all the info, I'm confident that I can sort it out as generally quite good with anything like this despite not having the technical no how. Managed to repair a 360 and my PS3 from their respective faults (RROD/YLOD) without having done anything similar before. Admittedly followed instructions found on the internet but still.
This seems pretty straightforward. Just got to make sure I take pictures of where the wires are connected before taking them out just in case I need to put it back together the way it was before. All I need to do now is wait for the replacement cable to be delivered.
Harro
Grafter

I would suggest if your gonna hard wire it back into the socket, that you use  proper tool, otherwise you could damage something.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-IDC-Tool-Krone-Style/dp/B003TQ9ZUI/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie...