cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC Install - Possible Wrong IP Profile?

hollylizy
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New FTTC Install - Possible Wrong IP Profile?

We signed up to plusnet's 80/20 and our expected down speed was 54Mbps our up speed I think is pretty low (Don't really know what to expect)
According to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ we are currently getting.
IP Profile for your line is - 39.76 Mbps
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New FTTC Install - Possible Wrong IP Profile?

that indicates that your sync speed is about 41Mbps so it looks as though you are provisioned correctly
hollylizy
Dabbler

Forgive me if I am wrong but as we have an estimated 54Mbps and our product is Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20 shouldn't our IP Profile be higher than the current 39.76 Mbps?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not really
The IP profile is calculated from the actual sync rate and all it means was that the estimate was a bit wrong
There could be many reasons for that
If you put your phone number in here was does it say https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
It should give two options for estimated speed depending on the quality of the wiring between the fibre cab and your modem
hollylizy
Dabbler

I can not get any details from that url as it's a plusnet line Sad But I have already completed a few checks myself using the address and postcode checker which are below.
FTTC Range A (Clean) 69.5 52.5 20 14.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 60 35 20 10 -- Available
Also if it helps, A little digging around my plusnet account shows me these details.
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
SOUTH ELMSALL
Estimated line speed:
52Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-07-01 14:26:47
Current line speed:
78 Mb
All the speed testes in the world are showing a solid 38Mbps /5-6Mbps So I am a little worried we are stuck on a slower /lower profile!
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi hollylizy,
I've just checked both the profile on our side as well as the profile set on the suppliers side and everything seems to match up.
The details of the estimated speeds you provided below show both a clean and an impacted range and you seem to be able to obtain speeds just above the lowest estimate on an impacted line which would sit within the acceptable limits. The testing done earlier to check the profiles doesn't seem to have picked up any fault issues either.
Quote from: hollylizy
FTTC Range A (Clean) 69.5 52.5 20 14.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 60 35 20 10 -- Available

Given the above, this may well be the highest speed that your line can manage with the current technology. If this doesn't change over the course of the next week I would be inclined to move the service onto the  standard 40/20 Fibre Unlimited package if you're unable to receive any speeds that give you a significant benefit over the 39mbps you're seeing now.
hollylizy
Dabbler

Thank you for looking into it for me Wink
It only worried me because I get a pretty solid 38/39Mbps so I thought it might have been at the end of the lower profile Cheesy There really are no problems what so ever and I am happy to leave everything exactly where it is while the going is good!
I am just relieved to know everything is where it should be, Thank you again for your help...
RickK
Grafter

Quote from: Adam
Given the above, this may well be the highest speed that your line can manage with the current technology. If this doesn't change over the course of the next week I would be inclined to move the service onto the  standard 40/20 Fibre Unlimited package if you're unable to receive any speeds that give you a significant benefit over the 39mbps you're seeing now.

That was an option?! When I had the same issue has hollylizy a long time ago I was pretty much out of luck.
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,118226.msg1023089.html#msg1023089
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is because 40/20 unlimited wasn't introduced until June this year