Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC Install Activation Time

strophic
Dabbler

New FTTC Install Activation Time

Hi there,
The BT chap came round first thing this morning and set everything up. I can't connect as yet ('authentication failed' on the router) so gave customer services a call. I was a bit surprised to hear that they wouldn't activate my account until BT told them everything was set up, which my account says could be anywhere up to midnight tomorrow night.
From everything I've read here normally things are activated pretty quickly - am I right in thinking the guy on the phone was just 'managing my expectations'? 36 hours seems a very long time..!
7 REPLIES 7
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: New FTTC Install Activation Time

I thought the documents that come with the router say it could take up to 20 min, and from my knowledge this is only because the router contacts Plusnet servers (TR69) to gather your user-name and password for auto set-up. If you've tried entering them manually yourself then it sounds like Plusnet haven't flicked the right switch yet.
strophic
Dabbler

Yep, that's pretty much what the plusnet guy on the phone told me - but he said they wouldn't flick the switch until they'd heard back from BT (which would be "any time until midnight on the 26th"!)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

It's normal for an ADSL account not to be activated until the 'job' is marked as complete, since the work is done at the exchange. For Fibre however, normally the account is enabled prior to the install, so that the installation engineer can confirm that the connection is ok. I'm sure one of the DC team will spot this thread shortly and activate your account...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

strophic
Dabbler

That's useful to know - thanks! Hopefully someone can sort it soon.
Olifran
Grafter

When mine was installed, he tested the connection on his JDSU thingy. Wouldnt leave until it had passed all the tests. I was up and running within an hour of the engineer arriving.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi strophic,
Try that again it should work for you now Wink
Welcome to our community forums too Smiley
strophic
Dabbler

That's brilliant, thanks for sorting it so quickly chris - and for the welcome!