Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC Customer - slow Wifi speeds, great via Ethernet

jimbof
Grafter

Re: New FTTC Customer - slow Wifi speeds, great via Ethernet

Quote from: wilcochris
So, I thought id check the speed with my phone practically on the router. Here are the pics of the speedtest and the location of fibre router, pn router and iPhone

Out of interest, have you tested any "faster" routers this way?  I have a quad core android phone which still records much slower wifi speed test results than my macbook pro. 
This sort of test is only really useful as a direct comparison.  A lot of work goes into mobile handsets to tune the battery performance over speed.  I mean, let's face it, do you need more than 45Mbps wifi to your phone? Smiley
wilcochris
Dabbler

Quote from: jimbof
So, I thought id check the speed with my phone practically on the router. Here are the pics of the speedtest and the location of fibre router, pn router and iPhone

Out of interest, have you tested any "faster" routers this way?  I have a quad core android phone which still records much slower wifi speed test results than my macbook pro. 
This sort of test is only really useful as a direct comparison.  A lot of work goes into mobile handsets to tune the battery performance over speed.  I mean, let's face it, do you need more than 45Mbps wifi to your phone? Smiley

Well, I was with Sky before and setup was the same (minus openreach) and the wifi speedtest was getting me line rates. Seems the wifi on this pn router is rubbish.
As an aside, it gets really hot really quick, so that's another reason for me to switch routers
jimbof
Grafter

So what modem were you using with Sky if not the Openreach modem?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Probably a sky router.  Since that's all you can use on Sky Broadband
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
jimbof
Grafter

Do Sky have a router with VDSL for FTTC built in then?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

No they don't have Vdsl built in. But they are trialling new router which has VDSL. I believe and new customers will get the VDSL built in router.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
wilcochris
Dabbler

So what modem were you using with Sky if not the Openreach modem?

Hey, I was using the sky hub. It was version 1. NorthEasterner is right. New customers will get hub 2.0 with built in vdsl. We no longer send hub 1.0 out (yeah, I work for sky - someone has to. Lol)
jimbof
Grafter

That was the point I was making really - it sounds as if your complaint is that the wireless of the plusnet router is no good because it isn't achieving line speed saturation over wifi to your iphone, when your Sky test was actually limited by ADSL bandwidth if you didn't have an Openreach modem (ie how do you know that by the same test the Sky router would have been any better WIFI wise).
I have the same router and it is capable of line speed saturation across 2 floors of my house in a relatively congested wifi area (though I choose my channel carefully) - so I believe in the test you are running that actually the weak link is either the wireless environment you are in, or your iphone and not the plusnet router. 
If the only problem you have is not being able to get a speed test higher than 45Mbps on your iphone then you probably should save your money and not buy another router as it isn't a problem really worth fixing! Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

If you are working for Sky. Why don't you make sure that Sky gets my petition to enable subtitles on their on demand service. - http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/bskyb-enable-subtitles-for-ondemand
Why are you with Plusnet when you work for sky? Do you not get discounted prices on their broadband?
npreece

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies.
In particular, I'd like to thank kmilburn for the comprehensive explanation of why WiFi speeds can drop, when certain devices are connected to the network.
I was planning to buy a Home Hub 5 to replace my TG582n, but I don't think I'll bother now. I suppose the only benefit to me of having a Home Hub 5 would be that I would no longer need the hideous Openreach VDSL modem.
Thanks again and a Happy New Year,
Nathan
wilcochris
Dabbler

Quote from: NorthEasterner
If you are working for Sky. Why don't you make sure that Sky gets my petition to enable subtitles on their on demand service. - http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/bskyb-enable-subtitles-for-ondemand
Why are you with Plusnet when you work for sky? Do you not get discounted prices on their broadband?

Good luck with the petition. Sky are fools sometimes
They can't provide fibre for me. They say it isn't at my exchange. So, by some magic I'm piggybacking of another exchange it wools seem.  Lol. No amount of telling them is convincing them it is here
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

So Plusnet provide you fibre but sky can't?
Makes no sense.
Before I moved house I could get fibre so got Plusnet.  But Sky couldn't provide fibre until a week before I moved.
wilcochris
Dabbler

That was the point I was making really - it sounds as if your complaint is that the wireless of the plusnet router is no good because it isn't achieving line speed saturation over wifi to your iphone, when your Sky test was actually limited by ADSL bandwidth if you didn't have an Openreach modem (ie how do you know that by the same test the Sky router would have been any better WIFI wise).
I have the same router and it is capable of line speed saturation across 2 floors of my house in a relatively congested wifi area (though I choose my channel carefully) - so I believe in the test you are running that actually the weak link is either the wireless environment you are in, or your iphone and not the plusnet router. 
If the only problem you have is not being able to get a speed test higher than 45Mbps on your iphone then you probably should save your money and not buy another router as it isn't a problem really worth fixing! Smiley

I wasn't really implying that i'll get a new router so I can get line speed saturation. The point I was trying to make is that the plusnet router wifi is rubbish. It matters not about the Openreach modem as I am not comparing trained in speeds. I was merely comparing wifi speeds.
I have to be that close to the plusnet router to get the best wifi possible. Any further away and it gets ridiculously slow over wifi. No congestion, partition walls are in place and a door. With the wifi on the Sky hub, this wasn't a problem. I was getting full N speeds over wifi.
With the plusnet router, to get even 54-63Mbps on wifi - I might as well have a b/g router - I have to be sitting right on top of the router.
This was the only point I was making in why I would get a new router
wilcochris
Dabbler

Quote from: NorthEasterner
So Plusnet provide you fibre but sky can't?
Makes no sense.
Before I moved house I could get fibre so got Plusnet.  But Sky couldn't provide fibre until a week before I moved.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Like I said, I could argue with Sky all day about fibre being at my property and exchange and they will tell me it says unconfirmed on their systems - which to them means it isn't there
jimbof
Grafter

I have to be that close to the plusnet router to get the best wifi possible. Any further away and it gets ridiculously slow over wifi. No congestion, partition walls are in place and a door. With the wifi on the Sky hub, this wasn't a problem. I was getting full N speeds over wifi.
With the plusnet router, to get even 54-63Mbps on wifi - I might as well have a b/g router - I have to be sitting right on top of the router.

There must be something else at play with these TG582N routers then, as lots of people complain about them yet my wifi seems great.  Here again is a test result I've just done, 2 floors away from the router.

Perhaps they don't have great range to a particular type of device / wifi radio, or are particularly badly effected by some other scenario.
There are a few little wifi tweaks that can be applied to the plusnet router over the telnet interface - see here:  http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html.  I've applied these to mine but I don't know if they make much difference.  I also turned off all the power management stuff (also detailed on that page).
Ho hum, anyway hope you get sorted.