Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC Customer - slow Wifi speeds, great via Ethernet

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: New FTTC Customer - slow Wifi speeds, great via Ethernet

Here is a thread of the "investigation" where Plusnet somehow couldn't manage to find any problems with the 582n's wireless performance: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110884.0.html
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ejs, I assume you feel something was missing from the investigation? Please advise if there are any tests you'd like us to try and we'll see what we can do.
rbanksy

I don't think any tests will help.
I get a max of 65Mbps on the wireless,  its down to local wireless congestion etc as well.
The MAIN issue is this router is now outdated technology which uses single band 802.11n 2.4GHz, this struggles to keep up with your fastest product.
What we need from Plusnet is to keep up with the times and roll out Duel Band (5Ghz) Routers, I would be more than happy to test.
Here is a link to a reliable third party review which backs up what I am saying  -  http://www.trustedreviews.com/plusnet-fibre-router_Peripheral_review

"The TG582n is hopefully part of a fading trend to supply single band routers with fibre optic broadband services. Unlike the Sky Hub it can achieve its provider's wireless speeds at close proximity, but make no mistake this is an outdated product in both design and features and we would advise all customers to seek out a dual band third party router instead."

jimbof
Grafter

I don't know - I think it is an appropriate router for a freebie. (I know there is a ~£40 "cost" if you leave within contract, but it is free still assuming you will stay in contract). 
There are so many calls for people to get all the same stuff as BT give (such as dual band router, TV channels, etc) - well guess what, if we get all those we'll ultimately end up paying the same as BT customers...!  In fact probably more, because some of the extra cost involved in UK service from Plusnet would have to go on top of the BT cost base.
I would imagine based on my experience with the TG582N that it is in fact really quite sufficient for the majority of their customer base.
I certainly wouldn't want an increase of £40-50 on my broadband over the contract length to have a bit better router.
I'd love to know what percentage of customers shipped a TG582N Plusnet router are still using it (which I guess could be gleaned from the TR69 servers)
rbanksy

Valid points yes.
I do believe PlusNet (BT) have the buying power to come up with something in budget though.
jimbof
Grafter

Perhaps.  The grass isn't always greener it seems though judging by this BT forum thread on HH5! Smiley
https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Home-hub-5-firmware-Update/td-p/1119530
rbanksy

That's just poor business process.  Do they have there testing team in Asia as well? Smiley
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jimbof
The grass isn't always greener it seems though judging by this BT forum thread on HH5!
https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Home-hub-5-firmware-Update/td-p/1119530

Hmm. May explain a lot. I have had a couple of issues with my HH5 - one of my computers doesn't always get assigned an IP address unless I reboot it, and my connection has been dropping briefly 2 or 3 times a day. I still have the original firmware. and looking at the quoted thread, it may be the upgrade is only for Infinity users, as I see the ones who have received the update are either on infinity or don't say what they're on.
I don't have the wireless issues some on there have been complaining about.
And yes, I do expect to get any updates when they are available, as my HH4 had at least two firmware updates in the last year.
jimbof
Grafter

Ah interesting, so your HH4 has been receiving updates while you've been using it on Plusnet?  Sounds hopeful I guess.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

When the hub 3 had WPS issues my hub never got back to enabling it when BT released a firmware forcing it to be disabled to security reasons.
Now it work since I plugged my hub 3 in a few months ago to the BT broadband line.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up