cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer with "activated broadband" but no signal?

retroboy
Dabbler

New Customer with "activated broadband" but no signal?

Hi there,
I'm a new Plusnet customer and received my confirmation that my Broadband connection has been activated on the morning of Friday 16th. I spent all day yesterday trying to get my Thomson TG585 v7 to connect but can't get the Broadband 'green light' to come on.
I've also borrowed another router from a friend and still no signal. The phone line is working ok and has a tone. I'm plugged directly into the main master socket in my home and have tried different microfilters and leads etc.
I emailed customer services yesterday but haven't heard anything back as of yet so thought I'd try on here for some advice. My billing has already begun on friday so really want to get online asap.
thanks in advance for any advice Smiley
48 REPLIES 48
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Customer with "activated broadband" but no signal?

do any lights come on the router
retroboy
Dabbler

Hi there,
yes I get a green light on the power, wireless and ethernet lights...but not on internet or broadband.
The same on the other router I borrowed to check it. I'm a bit baffled as to why I can't get a broadband signal. 
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

See enclosed image, is the indicated light flashing green, or just off completely.....
I would ring the CSC directly and ask if the line has actually been activated....
retroboy
Dabbler

Hi Penfold...thanks for replying.
The broadband light is completely off and hasn't come on at all.
What is CSC? (sorry I'm a total newbie)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

He means ring Plusnet Customer Support: 0845 140 0200 or 0114 296 5198
retroboy
Dabbler

Just called BT and got them to do a fault check on my line.
Everything fine but they realised that some work has to be carried out at the exchange to "activate" my broadband and not going to be up and running for another 4 or 5 days. Phew.. Didn't realise getting set up with Broadband was going to be so complicated. Shocked
Thanks for all the replies
Apprentice
Grafter

Didn't realise getting set up with Broadband was going to be so complicated.  Shocked

Shouldn't be.
I wonder if the problem arose due to poor communication between BT and PN
 Tongue
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your order completed on the 16th so I'm not who's told you that some more work needs to be carried out. I can see that you haven't yet got online so please report this at http://faults.plus.net so that we can investigate further.
retroboy
Dabbler

Quote from: Apprentice
Didn't realise getting set up with Broadband was going to be so complicated.  Shocked

Shouldn't be.
I wonder if the problem arose due to poor communication between BT and PN
 Tongue

I think you're right Apprentice. Just a little update in case anyone else is having similar issues.
BT did a check on the Exchange and then came to visit my home this morning to carry out more checks. The engineer said that the line is working ok and to get back in touch with Plusnet as it's their responsibilty to sort it out. It's difficult to know who is responsible for what... ping pong between the 2 companies.
So now I've called and raised a fault with Plusnet and they are sending one of their Broadband engineers out to see if they can diagnose whats going on.
Hopefully the mystery of the missing Broadband will be resolved soon. It's a bit frustrating I'm already being billed for a service I can't actually use.  Roll_eyes
Thanks for the replies
retroboy
Dabbler

Quote from: BenTrimble
Your order completed on the 16th so I'm not who's told you that some more work needs to be carried out. I can see that you haven't yet got online so please report this at http://faults.plus.net so that we can investigate further.

Hi Ben,
It was BT who initially said they had to "do some work" at the exchange to activate my Broadband signal. Now they say that it should all be working fine and a Plusnet engineer needs to sort it.?
Will update hows things are going
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We don't have any 'engineers', per se, as the only engineers allowed to work on your line are from BT Openreach. It sounds like your order was completed, but a local engineer identified some sort of issue with the local wiring that wasn't initially addressed and hasn't been completed, leading to your fault.
However, this is only my best guess. The Faults Team have this in hand on ticket 34346141, you'll receive a call or text in due course with information on how we are proceeding.
retroboy
Dabbler

Had a text message from BT a few hours ago saying they've now fixed the fault.
Still no Broadband signal though  Roll_eyes
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

BT (Retail) still have your telephone fault open so we can't perform any broadband fault diagnostics. Please give them a ring, ask them to close the fault then update ticket 34346141 so that the Faults Team can re-test it.
retroboy
Dabbler

Just called BT and requested that they close the fault so should be ok to go ahead with the diagnostics test.