cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - slow service according to BT

SapperGB

New Customer - slow service according to BT

Hi, Could someone from Tech. Please take a look at my connection.
I have been a customer for two weeks now and today received and email stating my connected speed is 1.2Mbps.
During the first days of connection (after some openreach work) my connection was  +4Mpbs with no noticeable disconnects.
I understand the fact that ISP's balance connection/reliability by using various profiles during the first 10-14 days. however i think the profiling on my line is excessive. The BT wholesale performance tester also reports a problem.
Screenshots to aid in diagnosis.

3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New Customer - slow service according to BT

Your line profile dropped down to 1.2Mbps, which is why you're seeing lower than normal speeds. This has now increased back up, so if you can try a single disconnect/reconnect you should see an improvement in your speeds.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SapperGB

Thank you Chris,
The speed is now as BT state it should be, was this simply an abnormality or did you need to intervene?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi SapperGB,
A warm welcome to the forums.  The action which Chris took would have been manual intervention.  The way in which 'usable' speed is determined is a wee bit complex, but in summary it works like this...
Your modem establishes a link with the exchange at the best synch speed it can attain for the TARGET SNRM set for the line.
The attained synch speed is used to determine the DATA rate (IP Profile) for the line (a) by BT and (b) advised to PlusNet - the profile speed is a 'function' of the SYNCH speed as defined here - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#ipProfile - fixed intervals for 20CN services and 88.2% for 21CN services.
Sometimes the updates from BT to PlusNet can be delayed (or even lost).  If a line is experiencing a lot of disconnects and varying speed, it is possible for there to be a big difference between the BT & PN profiles due to the time it can take for the two ends to catch-up - PlusNet's network will never attempt to send data faster than their 'current speed' profile.  See 'current speed' link below.
Looking at the information provided, you appear to be on a 21CN service restricted to ADSL(1) modulation.  That means you will synch a little slower than what your line might otherwise attain.  What is though of more concern is why was your line ever running as slow as it was?  That might point to an intermittent issue which is worth further investigation - see the 'speed issues' link below.
Is the phone line noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone plugged in to the master socket.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?
Are there phone extension sockets (irrespective of them being used)?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.