cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer: Unable to Connect to Internet

morphix

New Customer: Unable to Connect to Internet

Received my router yesterday, got an SMS confirmation today saying service was activated..
Plugged in router and followed instructions, started browser etc.. got the login screen, entered
username@plusdsl.net and account password, and keep getting "Authentication failed"
Internet LED on router turns red when I click send on the login form and it is not lighting
green. Clearly a problem somewhere.
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: New Customer: Unable to Connect to Internet

The router should automatically configure itself within a few minutes. Try setting it back the factory settings and leave it connected for a few minutes as described in the guide here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/585_setup_new.shtml

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

As per the voice mail I left for you. We've checked your account and could see an obvious problem there, this has now been resolved and we can see no reason why you can't connect.
Sorry about the unexpected hiccup!
Adam.

PS as mentioned on the message do get in touch if you still have any issues.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
morphix

Thanks for the call Adam, and thank you to MisterW..
Still having problems..
I tried restarted the modem initially after getting Adam's call and waited 15 minutes, then started Internet Explorer and got the same page showing "Internet disconnected" and the "login as a different user" link. Tried to login again using username@plusdsl.net (substituting username obviously for my account username) and entered my 8 character password which I selected when I joined.
The login screen just flashed straight back up after submitting the login details, obviously wasn't accepted.
So I decided to MisterW's tip and factory reset the modem. Did that, the LED's all went off, power LED changed to red etc...it had reset and I waited a good 20 minutes then started Internet Explorer.
This time, I got a different page, the original Broadband Setup page, which looked more promising. It went through to the "final stage" where after entering my login details it said we are setting up your connection, please wait and the progress bars were going across screen. After about 5 minutes it reverts back to the previous stage and asks for login details again. This happened three times in a row, so I'm wondering if I'm entering the wrong login details or whether there is a problem with the account.
Over to you..

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As per when I called you I need to apologise as I've jumped the gun somewhat. There was visibly an issue with the account which was fixed, however your broadband isn't due to become activated until the 28th.
As promised I'm going to look into why that is the case as it sounded like you were surprised by that and come back to you ASAP.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
morphix

Thanks Adam, I was under the impression when I joined from the emails and messages etc, that the Broadband service would be activated and setup at the same time as the phone line, that is why I was surprised when you said 28th, as the phone line was arranged and installed 21st.
See this presents me with a problem as I'm still using my old broadband service at moment but I cancelled the direct debit which was due on 20th, on the belief I would have PlusNet the next day.. I'm just lucky my old ISP (VirginMedia) is very slow to do anything and haven't realised they haven't been paid yet! But I'm into the next months billing period and I don't want to be paying for two services if you catch my drift..so the sooner I can stop using VirginMedia and formerly cancel it, the better.
I hope you can let me know a sooner date, ideally by tomorrow!
Feel free to respond via the forum..
morphix

Adam thanks for your follow up call just now, sorry I missed the call, got your voicemail message..
The offer you made is appreciated.. I will just continue using VirginMedia for a bit longer and wait until 28th then, not a problem.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK morphix, not a problem Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team