Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer = No ADSL

Styxexa
Dabbler

New Customer = No ADSL

Hi
Basically my ADSL  broadband got activated on the 22nd of Sept - and today (26th) was the 1st time i could get it set up.
I used my own newly bought router, and selected the auto set up wizard for plusnet
However
the DSL light will blink for about 10 min before it will be steady on (so it takes 10 min to establish a connection)
When it is connected I cannot, connect to the internet I have checked that the login details are correct etc however I have attached some screen shots
Where i live there is no internet at all no mobile connection so i am typing this away from where the router is, its all the information I have sorry if its a bit vaugue
I dont have a phone yet (line connected) to plug into the socket to ring customer services from there
i am using a relatives internet connection 6 miles away to type this
When I browse to a web page i get this error message from BT Wholesale
Please help
12 REPLIES 12
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: New Customer = No ADSL

As you will have seen, it hasn't succeeded in getting an IP address and Internet connection from Plusnet, and has directed you to that BTWholesale page instead. I'd guess either the username and password is not correct, or Plusnet haven't activated your account properly.
There might be some mistake in the router's set up wizard, perhaps try resetting it to defaults and configuring it manually.
As for taking several minutes to establish a connection, could that be because it's automatically trying VDSL2 before trying ADSL2+?
Also, why are Plusnet still capping people's upstream speed?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you tried setting it up manually
When you put in the login details did you put the username in the format username@plusdsl.net
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

I had the same problem when I switched from BT to PlusNet before I changed the username and password on my router. As Oldjim says in his post, have you entered the plusnet username and password?
Styxexa
Dabbler

Hi all
Thank you for all your replies, thinking about it I didn't put the username in that format. I assumed it would to it automatically, as I went through the "easy set up" however I will try again and put it in the correct format
Cant try though until tomorrow - will report back
Thanks again I appreciate it
Styxexa
Dabbler

Embarrassed
Sorted Thankyou I feel a bit silly now but after putting the username in the correct format I am using my connection to type this lol

Im not a stupid person but in the excitement to get it working I overlooked this I think because I could see that it appears to have connected As shown in the screen shots of the line stats I assumed the details where correct.
Thanks again
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

The upstream still needs to be uncapped.
As ejs asks, why is this still being done wrong?  Manual order errors again?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Styxexa
Dabbler

Quote from: Townman
The upstream still needs to be uncapped.

Thanks
How would I get it uncapped? I read that it can cause problems with download speeds - Should I wait until after the "Training period" is over how ever long that is.
Regards
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

CRT might do that from here.
Do you have a reference to the claim that it impacts DS speeds?  There are myths and confusion over different technologies, one of which does steal DS bandwidth, but we are not talking about that technology here.
It might not be a matter of needing to wait 10 days, but having to depending o what the last order on the line was.  Some orders (SNRM resets done in one manner) inhibit further changes on a line for 10 days.  If this does not apply to your line, then doing it ASAP gets the problem resolved sooner.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Styxexa
Dabbler

CRT might do that from here.

Brill - If anyone from PN Staff is reading this, please can you uncap my upload speeds

Do you have a reference to the claim that it impacts DS speeds?  There are myths and confusion over different technologies, one of which does steal DS bandwidth, but we are not talking about that technology here.

I don't really I was looking around on the internet last night about it, and came across other posts where they stated it effected download speeds
Of course that does not mean that it would effect myself but it was just stuff I was reading eg.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,112322.0.html/
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In respect of that particular thread, I suspect that there were other (unexamined) issues.

Styxexa
Dabbler

I see - no problem many thanks for you help  Smiley Smiley
I will just lie in wait and hope that a PN member of staff picks this up and uncaps it for me

Kind Regards
Styxexa
Dabbler

Could someone from CRT please take a look at this request?
Regards